User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ceedee
(member) Thu 17-Apr-08 10:37:32
Print Post

New Traffic Management in trial areas

[link to this post]

I've been waiting for VM to update their Traffic Management webpage with this news but it doesn't seem to be happening. While this new scheme is currently only applicable in the stated trial areas, it's considered by many to be likely to be applied nationwide before the end of the year.
This statement was posted by VM's Tech Support staff (and confirmed by Alex Brown, Senior Product Manager for Broadband):

STM Statement:

• As part of our continued efforts to improve our customer's broadband experience we are continuing to trial measures which will more efficiently and pro-actively manage network traffic.
  • As part of our continued efforts to improve our customer's broadband experience, we are making changes to the current Traffic Management Policy within certain trial regions.
  • This updated policy will be trialed within the following regions Preston, Wigan, Blackpool, Camden, Dalston, Enfield and Haringey.
  • These measures are based on policies that detect traffic patterns that are deemed potentially abnormal and apply traffic management rules to ensure that other customers are not adversely affected by this traffic.
  • The trial aims to prevent or reduce the effects of a minority of users abusing the network and preventing the majority of subscribers from having the network performance they desire.
  • For the vast majority of customers, upwards of 95% of the base, their experience will be a more consistent speed (both upload and download).
  • Those who have the policies applied to their connection will experience their download / upload speed being constrained (less than 5% affected). Breach of acceptable use policy may lead to these policies being applied.
  • These optimisation policies are being trialed during the following times where the potential for abnormal traffic has been identified as having the greatest adverse impact on our customers' experience.

10am - 3pm Download only
    4pm - 9pm Download
    3pm - 8pm Upload

During these times the following thresholds will be applied for upstream and downstream.

10am - 3pm Download
    Size M: 900Mb
    Size L: 2400Mb
    Size XL: 6000Mb

4pm - 9pm Download
    Size M: 450Mb
    Size L:1200Mb
    Size XL: 3000Mb

3pm - 8pm Upload
    Size M: 200Mb
    Size L: 700Mb
    Size XL: 1400Mb

Apparently the relative speeds while STM is in operation will be the same as previously.
Standard User ronaldo
(committed) Thu 17-Apr-08 11:21:03
Print Post

Re: New Traffic Management in trial areas

[re: ceedee] [link to this post]

broadband is mean to get faster and more reliable as time goes on but it seems to be getting worse.....
XL should be unrestricted!

[V]irgin Media20mb Belkin 7633-4
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Apr-08 11:28:11
Print Post

Nice to see that I would be abnormal if I downloaded a large PS3 demo while listening to radio online or some video streaming.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Apr-08 15:36:35
Print Post

what i dont get is the fact on one hand they want to stop people downloading as much in peak hrs but then forcing them to upgrade to a higher speed if they do as the limits arnt as low, so isnt that defeating the objects as we will have heavier downloaders on a higher speed downloading faster and more than they were before?

Im STILL waiting to hear about a larger flat and when i do im proberbly still going to switch to Sky.

PC SPEC
AMD Athlon 64 4200+ AM2 Dual Core, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570 NForce Mainboard, 2GB DDR 2 667Mhz OCZ Ram, 1210 GB Hard Disk Space, 512mb NVidia 8500GT PCI-E 16x Graphics, 700watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf Customer and Ex Eclipse Internet Customer.

Virgin Media 4mb Cable :-)

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Thu 17-Apr-08 15:54:09
Print Post

[re: JimKirk363] [link to this post]

In reply to:

what i dont get is the fact on one hand they want to stop people downloading as much in peak hrs but then forcing them to upgrade to a higher speed if they do as the limits arnt as low, so isnt that defeating the objects as we will have heavier downloaders on a higher speed downloading faster and more than they were before?

Similarly you'd have thought that they'd withdraw all the ridiculous offers to tempt new customers to sign-up in areas where the infrastructure evidently can't support them.

Apparently it's now commonplace for Retentions to offer existing 4Mb users paying 25/mth an upgrade to 20Mb plus a phone for 31/mth. So for an extra 6 your downloads should *never* go below 5Mb/s!

It all goes to prove that it ain't just the network that's broken...

Standard User supacrap
(committed) Thu 17-Apr-08 18:52:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The only thing abnormal is the overpaid monkeys running this show coming up with stupid policys.

Notice how all the ISP who have traffic management all ways say it's the top 3% or top 5% affecting the network.

VirginMedia 20meg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Apr-08 23:12:07
Print Post

[re: supacrap] [link to this post]

With this system if a user has a big download day they are affected, so over the period of 3 months 50% of customers may have experienced the system.

A monthly average is kinder, but in the case of managing severe congestion perhaps not the best way.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NVB
(member) Fri 18-Apr-08 02:03:14
Print Post

This is getting ridiculous ... broadband but only when WE say and by HOW much. I'm gonna have to start carrying around a printed card with the TM schedules. Actually this is getting to be like mobile phone tariffs, totally incomprehensible !!!

Does anyone know when all this takes place, because I'm in one of those effected areas, (Enfield)

Edited by NVB (Fri 18-Apr-08 05:23:13)

Standard User ceedee
(committed) Fri 18-Apr-08 02:42:53
Print Post

[re: NVB] [link to this post]

In reply to:

Does anyone know when all this takes place, because I'm in one of those effected areas, (Enfield)

It seems to have been in operation for at least the last month and probably longer.
So maybe it's not soooo harsh?

I've certainly been tracking reports of abnormal STM hours in VM's newsgroups and other forums for the last few weeks (and some of them aren't in any of the specified areas). But it took the concerted efforts of maybe ten folks to drag this statement out of VM last Monday. And believe me, it was like drawing teeth!

Hey, you think this is bad?
If a source's hints are correct, we'll see application management (ie. port throttling) before the end of the year too.

*shrug*
Who knows, maybe they'll drop Phorm to try to keep us all from leaving?
Standard User NVB
(member) Fri 18-Apr-08 03:31:47
Print Post

My cabinet is in Enfield and I can say for sure it's not being implimented here yet, we're still on the normal 4-9pm traffic managment

I'm spoiled for choice in my area ...Sky, O2, Be, and about 4 or 5 others, if Virgin's TM gets too draconian I'll do a runner

Edited by NVB (Fri 18-Apr-08 03:37:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to