User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PJBonoVox
(newbie) Tue 12-Oct-10 14:11:51
Print Post

Replacing Netgear VMDG280 Router/Modem

[link to this post]

Hi all!

Just joined the Virgin Media crew for the first time last week, and signed up for the 20mb cable package.

The router I got was a Virgin branded Netgear jobby, the VMDG280. I'm not going to beat around the bush, it's pretty naff. Seems to buckle under too many connections and the wireless leaves a little to be desired.

Anyway, I was just looking at what my options are really. I'm guessing flashing this router with a modified firmware isn't an option unless anyone knows different? Is there any way I could get Virgin to swap it for a standard modem so I could buy my own router?

I'm presuming you can't just buy a new router/modem (or just modem) because of the disrepancy with the Virgin-side MAC address. Or am I wrong?

Any assistance much appreciated smile

Edited by PJBonoVox (Tue 12-Oct-10 14:20:06)

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Oct-10 16:31:00
Print Post

Re: Replacing Netgear VMDG280 Router/Modem

[re: PJBonoVox] [link to this post]

First off, you simply wont be able to get your hands on a legit modem - any being sold on Ebay and such like are property of VM and you could end up in a spot of bother if you buy it and then VM brick / block it.

You might be able to get them to swap it for an AMBIT 256 modem if you ask them.

I'm assuming the VMDG280 is the new media hub thingy. If so, you can apparently disable the routing functions and turn it into a plain modem so you can plug your own router in but I can't find any info on that at the moment.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png

Edited by pete_thomson (Tue 12-Oct-10 16:31:40)

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Tue 12-Oct-10 17:00:34
Print Post

I don't think there are many fans of this new "Hub" smile

As said below I think you can turn off the routing function on it and connect up your own router, it won't be advertised on the Virgin help pages but you will need to go into the advanced settings:-

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.contr...

From there you should be able to work it out, turn off DHCP and if possible turn off NAT as well. You'll probably have to hunt around the various options but you should be able to work it out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Oct-10 17:26:52
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Not much success here, and usually find things...

Problem seems to be the dg280 designation is unique to VM.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Tue 12-Oct-10 18:10:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I don't think you'll find a manual for it, like you say its a custom job.
Standard User PJBonoVox
(newbie) Tue 19-Oct-10 19:27:47
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies people. I subscribed to this topic but didn't get an e-mail so I presumed it never got a reply!

So yeah, this new router is utter [censored]. I've worked in IT for many years so like a lot of people here I've seen it all and this one definitely smacks of having a 512 byte routing table or something stupid =P

Anyway, having scoured this piece of [censored] there's no option to turn into a standalone modem. The closest is a DMZ, but then it's still using NAT so effectively a router.

Would Virgin Media issue me a cable modem if I asked them to? Is it even worth it? Has anyone else had experience of trying this with VM?

Any help mucho appreciated.
Standard User PJBonoVox
(newbie) Mon 01-Nov-10 15:18:20
Print Post

Hi all,

Looks like this thread went stale. Well, I rang VM anyway to see if they would provide me with a standard modem (allowing me to use my own router) and they were absolutely happy to provide me with one, no questions asked.

Said it would take around 3/4 working days to arrive.

Just thought I'd let anyone who's looking to do the same thing know that VM are pretty accomodating in this regard. Yay!
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Nov-10 15:55:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by PJBonoVox:
Hi all,

Looks like this thread went stale. Well, I rang VM anyway to see if they would provide me with a standard modem (allowing me to use my own router) and they were absolutely happy to provide me with one, no questions asked.

Said it would take around 3/4 working days to arrive.

Just thought I'd let anyone who's looking to do the same thing know that VM are pretty accomodating in this regard. Yay!

Great news! I can imagine once word gets out they might get a few more returned laugh

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
Standard User PJBonoVox
(newbie) Mon 01-Nov-10 15:58:07
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

Well, that's the real twist-- I asked them whether they want me to return the VMDG modem/router and they told me not to bother!

Perhaps an indicator of how bad these pieces of hardware actually are?
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Nov-10 21:02:55
Print Post

A plain router I understand, but not wanting that back is asking for trouble

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to