User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User batfastad
(newbie) Wed 27-Oct-10 09:02:26
Print Post

Virgin Media existing customer, quoted £26pm to add L broadb

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

A relative has had a phone line with Virgin Media for years (originally with Eurobell which became NTL which became Virgin Media) however for their broadband they've always had a separate BT line and broadband account with BeThere.

BeThere are excellent, I use them myself, however the relative in question wanted to get rid of an extra utility bill and get rid of some electrical gear.

So I called up Virgin Media as an existing phone (cable line) customer to add their L broadband package and they said it would add an extra £26 per month to my bill, despite the L broadband costing only £12.50 per month!
They said they would waive the installation cost though, which they currently do with a special offer to new customers anyway.

I realise companies usually nail existing customers, but there's almost no financial point in them making this switch as the difference just isn't worth it.

Anyone else seen this?
Or got any other suggestions?

Cheers B
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Oct-10 09:43:17
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media existing customer, quoted £26pm to add L br

[re: batfastad] [link to this post]

If its L then I don't see how they got £26

L without a phone line is £20 a month
L with phone is £12.50 plus £11.99

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html

Suspect they may have upsold the idea of getting a basic TV package too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Oct-10 12:15:08
Print Post

Sounds like they've quoted for the entire L package.

Assuming you don't have a call package ATM, then going to L broadband (10Mb), L TV (100 channels) and L phone (unlimted evenings and weekends) would cost an extra £26.95 over the existing £11.99 you already pay for line rental.

L broadband added should cost £12.50 a month extra as Seb says. They have a promo for £5 a month for 3 months and £50 credit but I suspect that's for "new customers only"
but you've got room to haggle as you've been with them for what seems like an age.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User batfastad
(newbie) Wed 27-Oct-10 20:28:14
Print Post

Thanks for the info.
I'll call up again and see if I catch an agent who knows something.

I did think it should be cheaper.
I don't want extra call bundles or TV packages. Just to add broadband to my existing landline. Otherwise that's just an insane bias against existing customers.

Cheers, B
Standard User kalross
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 16:33:15
Print Post

Virgin Media have no regard for existing customers.

Being out of contract, I've called many times to see if they wish to retain me with more packages or discounts and they just quote me stupid money, double or triple the deals for new customers. One department in the company knows nothing about what the other department is doing. They'll send you an offer on a leaflet and when you ring up, they'll know nothing about it.

I only have 20MB broadband and as it's really no cheaper to not have the phone line, have that too. I'm paying them nearly £40/month and prices are going up.

I've just called to cancel my subscription and thought they might offer some goodies to keep hold of me, but alas...offered nothing...just patronised me and tried to discredit other companies!! 30 days notice (today is 18/2) and will be disconnected on 30/3...that's 40+ days isn't it.......one last elbow in the face from Vermin!
Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Thu 24-Feb-11 12:05:50
Print Post

[re: kalross] [link to this post]

I used the cancel trick to get my broadband cheaper, the past two times they allow cancellation to go through and then call up with a deal a couple of days before the end notice period.
  Print Thread

Jump to