User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User docki
(committed) Sun 31-Oct-10 14:08:42
Print Post

Activation Charge

[link to this post]

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Just incase.

4 days ago I downgraded from 50MB to 10MB. However I was finding that I was either hitting the STM or (like lastnight) I turned on the PC and Modem ( just to see if it was me or the network) around 7PM and I was right on STM..

Anyway Just called up to get put back on to 50mb and got hit with a £20 activation fee. Fair enough but not something anyone has bothered with before. Have they all been slack or have I hit a jobsworth?

Anyway back on the super highway. I also checked to see if this was due to the upload increase but I am still at 1.75 on the router but still 0.80 on actual uploads.

SO going to call them now and see if they know what's going on.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Oct-10 19:39:13
Print Post

Re: Activation Charge

[re: docki] [link to this post]

Probably a move to discourage you from doing things like dropping product for when away on holiday etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Nov-10 10:20:23
Print Post

Maybe that's why they make a separate install and activation charges for 50Mbps. Even though there is an offer running currently of free install on upgrades to 50Mbps they still charge that mysterious £20 activation. Lord only knows what it pays for - possibly a VM engineering dancing naked around your street cabinet at midnight muttering mystical incantations but more likely a 12 year old in Mumbai whacking something into a keyboard. Alternately it could be for nothing at all and just funds brandy and cigars at the end of board meetings.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PWJ62
(newbie) Tue 08-Feb-11 11:00:11
Print Post

The offer I received by email for upgrade to 50mb clearly stated they would 'waive installation and activation charges'. When I submitted my order online, however, I was charged a £20 activation fee. I phoned to complain and after some shenanigans, the 'supervisor' agreed that the offer was indeed free of charge and refunded my £20. If you have been charged and can be bothered to complain, you will get it back. It is very wrong that they are charging for this when the offer is free.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Feb-11 13:44:21
Print Post

[re: PWJ62] [link to this post]

There maybe was no special offer in October 2010 when this post was initially made.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to