User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User desousa
(newbie) Fri 07-Jan-11 13:27:06
Print Post

Break Contract on reasonable grounds

[link to this post]

Hi, is there anyone who can give me help/advice on the following:
I celebrated a 12 months contract with Virgin Media for phone + broadband. The contract was concluded at the phone. My terms, which were accepted by them, were that I would not accept payments by direct debit and it would be me deciding the method of payment. The guy at the phone asked me to wait a second because he needed to check that with his supervisor. He came back after a minute and said: ‘Yes Sir, you can pay whatever you like, by cash, post office, etc.’ Being agreed these terms, I accepted to go ahead with the contract. A month ago, as I did not receive any bill from them yet, I decided to call them asking when they were thinking to send my first bill. The answer was: we do not send bills (not even by email), you must log in the customer area at virginmedia.com and check yourself. I did that and was astonished to find out that they had already charged my debit card. I call my bank right away and informed them that this payment was unauthorised and instructed them to arrange a refund, which occurred on that same day. I also send Virgin a recorded letter declaring that I did not allowed them to take money from my account and if that would happened in future I would consider that an abuse. I further declared that, depending on what they would answer, I would consider rescinding the contract. Meantime, as I did not receive an answer, I decided to pay the next bill by sending them a recorded letter with a check. My questions are: 1. Is this enough reason to break the contract; 2. How long do you think I should wait for an answer before announcing them that I will break the contract upon reasonable grounds; 3. Is there in the UK any office or helpline dealing with these kind of problems to whom I may apply for legal help and advice? Thanks.
Standard User somerset
(committed) Fri 07-Jan-11 13:43:20
Print Post

Re: Break Contract on reasonable grounds

[re: desousa] [link to this post]

How did they get your debit card details?

What was your reason to not pay by direct debit?
Standard User desousa
(newbie) Fri 07-Jan-11 13:51:15
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

Hi, Thnks for you post.
1. I gave them debit card number because they asked me to do so as a pro forma to check my credibility;
2. I pay all my bills by bank transfer at my instruction and I never failed one till this date. The reason is simple, I want to receive a bill and decide when to pay and how to pay. I don't like companies and ISPs to be doing the 'great favour' of managing my payments. It is, if you want, a matter of principle and personal organisation method. In any case, I will not abdicate from this prerogative. Besides, this was the agreement.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User knicol46
(newbie) Fri 07-Jan-11 14:00:57
Print Post

[re: desousa] [link to this post]

make sure you take note of your contract renewal date as they will automatically apply a new 12 month contract unless you tell them otherwise! best phoning to cancel 1 month before the contract end date as they want 30 days notice to cancel anyhow.

good luck
Standard User somerset
(committed) Fri 07-Jan-11 14:11:07
Print Post

[re: knicol46] [link to this post]

They may have a recording of your phone call.
Standard User desousa
(newbie) Fri 07-Jan-11 17:30:25
Print Post

[re: knicol46] [link to this post]

Thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to