User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nmg196
(member) Tue 01-Feb-11 21:43:01
Print Post

Is this a Virgin Media cabinet?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Any ideas how I can find out if this is a Virgin Media cabinet? (or one of it's former-companies like C&W etc).

http://tinyurl.com/5vlppaj (Google Street View)

It says CATV on the concrete slab just to one side. It's definitely NOT a BT cabinet (I have asked an engineer who was working on my line and it's not even on his map). There's also a much smaller cabinet very close to my house which is also in front of a slab which says CATV on it - again, not owned by BT.

I would assume it was VM owned, were it not for the fact that VM say our area is NOT cabled and they do not offer any services on my road other than rebranded BT wholesale products.

It's very odd - I'm thinking that either there's another cable operator I don't know about, or perhaps their database is wrong and our area actually IS cabled, but nobody can order because of the database problem?! Or maybe these cabinets are just monitoring points for the street lighting or electrical supply?

Nick.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Feb-11 21:52:13
Print Post

Re: Is this a Virgin Media cabinet?

[re: nmg196] [link to this post]

Another long shot.... could it be the developers hand conduit and cabs installed at the time of the build for the local operator to use, but then didn't?

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png
Standard User 22point8
(newbie) Tue 01-Feb-11 22:20:19
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

Round my way (Thamesmead SE London) across the road from me are loads of CATV cabinets, some are 3 right next to eachother, theres one giant one further along, some more dotted around. On my side of the road theres one on a corner and another about 60m from my house. Check the Virgin website and I don't live in a fibre optic area, so there are about 10 cabinets with CATV manholes, that Virgin probably didn't even know exist. Apparently when the town was built it was a trial area for FM over coax or something.

http://www.rediffusion.info/London/

"By 1970 the Basildon Branch was running the Thamesmead project. Here, on the mudflats reclaimed from the River Thames near Woolwich, the Greater London Council built a new city within a city. Rediffusion London had a Community Service contract to provide an h.f. system to the first 9,000 dwellings. Incorporated in the Thamesmead project was to be all the latest developments of Rediffusion engineering. With 12-pair cable being used throughout, there was no anticipated problem with channel capacity. Two 405 and three 625 line television programmes and Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 were being relayed at that time."

Edited by 22point8 (Tue 01-Feb-11 22:28:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nmg196
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 15:22:56
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

I was given this useful link by the Virgin Media twitter team.

I have contacted them on the cablemystreet@ email address and have been told that the cabinet is a VM cabinet, but it does not have any fibre going to it and it's not currently in use. It's an old Videotron analogue TV system which I think VM have decided to not take over or maintain. Apparently it's likely it will be upgraded to fibre as all the ducts are (obviously) in place. I'm not so sure myself.. I think it's more likely that VM will start reselling BT Infinity instead and deliver TV over that.

Nick
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Feb-11 16:48:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by nmg196:
I think it's more likely that VM will start reselling BT Infinity instead and deliver TV over that.
Now that would be quite a technological tour de force if they could pull it off. Umpteen channels of TV down a few hundred meters of twisted pair.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User nmg196
(member) Thu 03-Feb-11 16:52:49
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
Now that would be quite a technological tour de force if they could pull it off. Umpteen channels of TV down a few hundred meters of twisted pair.

Well, it's exactly what they do already on their own network. They just need to get the multi-casting working properly so each channel is only sent once down the back-haul. More likely, they'd install their own relays at the exchange so the TV distribution doesn't actually use the back-haul on a per-user basis. There no technical challenges they haven't already solved - a BT Infinity connection can easily handle between 4-10 full HD TV channels simultaneously (assuming 4Mbps each) which is more than the average house would ever use.

Their main problem would be getting the commercial agreement with BT sorted out.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Feb-11 13:05:07
Print Post

Maybe but I doubt it. They certainly couldn't provide the same service as VM cable without replacing the twisted pair with coax.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Fri 04-Feb-11 13:07:32)

Standard User nmg196
(member) Fri 04-Feb-11 13:37:30
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Maybe but I doubt it. They certainly couldn't provide the same service as VM cable without replacing the twisted pair with coax.

You can run any TV service over an 20Mb internet connection long as there is suitable equipment at the cabinet or exchange to support it. You just have to use a different methodology to distribute the content. Virgin transmit all channels to every user, whereas BT would have to put in suitable relays in the DSLAM to send you only the channels you're currently watching. It's already being done with services like BT Vision - the only difference is, BT vision is currently optimised lower speeds provided by ADSL rather than FTTC. With relays based at the DSLAM / exchange, it wouldn't even use up any of your download allowance. Ideally, BT should fit these relays in the street cabinets, but I'm not sure if they've done that.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Feb-11 09:42:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by nmg196:

You can run any TV service over an 20Mb internet connection long as there is suitable equipment at the cabinet or exchange to support it. You just have to use a different methodology to distribute the content. Virgin transmit all channels to every user, whereas BT would have to put in suitable relays in the DSLAM to send you only the channels you're currently watching. It's already being done with services like BT Vision - the only difference is, BT vision is currently optimised lower speeds provided by ADSL rather than FTTC. With relays based at the DSLAM / exchange, it wouldn't even use up any of your download allowance. Ideally, BT should fit these relays in the street cabinets, but I'm not sure if they've done that.

They aren't hardware relays it's software - the MSANs in the cabinets need to support both IGMP and multicasting.

The only implementation of this that I've seen is Talk Talk TV, formerly known as Tiscali TV and originally Homechoice. BT Vision is broadcast TV delivered via a Freeview box with VoD delivered via standard unicast stream.
Standard User 22point8
(newbie) Sun 06-Feb-11 00:22:03
Print Post

[re: 22point8] [link to this post]

http://i56.tinypic.com/mhx085.jpg I took a picture today of the big cabinet next to a regular one, the manhole covers say CATV Brickhouse. An Openreach engineer said that Virgin only do TV in the area no broadband or phone, I'm guessing thats analogue cable TV.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to