User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User djhomeless
(learned) Tue 08-Feb-11 13:51:00
Print Post

Set-top box bootup time?

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,
Recently switched over to VM, outside of the shoddy job the installation guys did I've been relatively happy with the broadband and phone up till now.

I know this is a broadband forum, but was wondering if anyone has run into the issue I am having with the Samsung set-top box I was given (sorry, don't remember the model number, but it is one of the new V+ Boxes). Basically, whenever I turn the V+ box on, it is taking anywhere from 2.5 min up to 5 min before my TV actually gets a signal - During this time the display screen on the device is running through a series of numbers (L40 and so on).

I've tried phoning CS, but they keep telling me this is either normal, or some sort of self diagnostic - and that it will work itself out over time.

Has anyone run into this?

Thanks!

Geoffrey
Standard User Philce
(committed) Tue 08-Feb-11 22:45:25
Print Post

Re: Set-top box bootup time?

[re: djhomeless] [link to this post]

No, mine TV gets a picture within a few seconds of me pressing the on button on the remote control.

I dont however switch the box off completely though, obviously you dont use the record function? Why get the V+ box?
Standard User djhomeless
(learned) Wed 09-Feb-11 10:14:15
Print Post

[re: Philce] [link to this post]

No I do, but only just now (tnx to your post) realized that the set top box isn't turning itself back on to record shows. My last set top box was a semi-home brew Topfield and it was able to do that, so I assumed this would as well.

I tried last night to leave the box on, but when I came down this morning it switched itself off - now all I have to do is get VM to come replace it - have to say I find it really annoying that I have to cool my heels over a 4 hour time window, AND get charged if the engineer comes and I'm not around!

tnx

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User EnglishRob
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Feb-11 20:08:01
Print Post

[re: djhomeless] [link to this post]

I'm sure I read on the Digital Spy forums that the Samsung V+ box shuts down if it's not being used after about 4 hours, IIRC there was some setting which you could change. Sadly I can't find the link at the moment.

I only have the Samsung V box (non-HD basic box), it takes about a minute to start from power on (that is, turning the mains on as we've got it attached to an eco saver thing).

Rob

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Virgin Media XL 20 Meg broadband
Vodafone PAYG 3G Modem
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Fri 11-Feb-11 13:00:31
Print Post

[re: EnglishRob] [link to this post]

Most modern electrical devices don't use much electricity in standby mode.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User EnglishRob
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 13:28:02
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Most modern electrical devices don't use much electricity in standby mode.

True, but it's safer for us when our cats have a habbit of getting behind the TV and peeing on the extension socket (to be fair it's only happened twice in 6 years but at least when we're not using the TV everything goes off, and the device was free laugh)

Rob

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Virgin Media XL 20 Meg broadband
Vodafone PAYG 3G Modem
  Print Thread

Jump to