User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User undecidedadrian
(newbie) Sat 12-Feb-11 11:25:11
Print Post

How do I stop Virgin Media#s marketing machine?

[link to this post]

10 years ago I stopped being an NTL customer. Mainly due to tryly awful customer service.

I was paying £120 per month for TV/Phone and BB and they refused to replace the TV STB when it had smoke coming out of it and it melted the viewing card.

Anyways when Richard Branson rebadged the company I stated to get marketing letters from Virgin Media addressed to me.

I asked them to stop as I have no interest in going back due to the way they burnt every last bridge they could with me as a customer when I left.

Instead of that they changed my name to "The Occupier" and since then I have been recieving more and more and more direct mail.

I "return to sender" all of it as I refuse to clutter my bin up with it, I have asked them several times to stop this as I have no interest in going back to cable.

This week did it for me, 4 marketing letters all A4 on stiff cardboard and when I got downstairs this morning there were 2 in my letter box jamming open the letterbox and letting a huge cold draught in.

I am a member of the MPS and they say that if I have been a previous customer then they cannot help as I need to contact Virgin Media directly.

So today I try again as all my letters seem to fall on deaf ears in the marketing department.

The only number I can find is for new customers so I try that, I am told by the guy in the call center that you cannot stop the direct mail from them. He then also goes on to tell me that he spent a 2 day course and he knows the whole of the data protection act and that they can do what they like with my address.

Nice to see that VM is still good old NTL in a different coat, good greif!

So how do I stop this awful waste of resources as I have no intention of going back to cable and yet they seem to think they can do as they wish even when I ask them directly to stop repeatedly.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Feb-11 13:27:08
Print Post

Re: How do I stop Virgin Media#s marketing machine?

[re: undecidedadrian] [link to this post]

You can get Royal Mail to stop delivering unaddressed mail, but it seems that looking that items with "The Occupier" as the receipent are classed as addressed.

Chances are too that VM don't have you on their mailing database, but the opposite - they DON'T have you on their database hence why they keep contacting you.

It's a pain I know, but I'm not sure if there much you can do.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:11:36
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

since leaving virgin i recieve these every week, the bin does the trick smile

sky unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Feb-11 19:55:43
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pete_thomson:
You can get Royal Mail to stop delivering unaddressed mail, but it seems that looking that items with "The Occupier" as the receipent are classed as addressed.

Chances are too that VM don't have you on their mailing database, but the opposite - they DON'T have you on their database hence why they keep contacting you.

It's a pain I know, but I'm not sure if there much you can do.

I get marketing mail even tho I am a customer. Just have to live with it I guess.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Feb-11 22:30:39
Print Post

If it really annoys you jut write return to sender on every one and stick it back in the mailbox when you pass it. It probably won't stop the junk but at least it will make it more annoying for RM and VM and won't fill your recycling bin.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User Roph
(newbie) Sun 13-Feb-11 17:03:45
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

The sad thing is that if you have paper bills, they actually want to charge you for them.

Some months I was getting a paper bill (that I had to pay £1.25 I believe for), and also getting 3, sometimes 4 marketing items from them.
Standard User blueacid
(member) Sun 20-Feb-11 02:37:38
Print Post

Do they have a complaints address? Start sending them heavy things (such as bricks) without stamps.

You can clear out your garden AND have a wicked smile on your face as you go.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User alwall
(member) Sun 20-Feb-11 04:13:37
Print Post

Re: How do I stop Virgin Media's marketing machine?

I wouldn't let it get to me. Just recycle it.

BTBroadband
Standard User Malwaremike
(regular) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:00:21
Print Post

There is a big loophole in MPS (mail preference service) in that you can't list your address except with your name included. The only way to stop The Occupier paper spam is to apply to Royal Mail to stop all un-named mail. They make a large slice of their income from delivering all this rubbish, now that email has taken over so much of their business, and they will stop it on request but you will lose some useful stuff such as council and anti-crime leaflets as well.

Even named junk can be hard to stop. Direct Holidays bombarded us with thick brochures etc for two years despite many requests. Eventually I kept the covers with dates, copied them recorded delivery to the Company Secretary and advised there would be a £25 disposal charge for each item delivered after that date, and by sending such items they would be deemed to agree to such charge.

A very nice legal person wrote back to say they did not think the courts would agree to such a charge, and I replied to say we would certainly find out. This did the trick (it turned out that they had us listed twice, one with mis-spelling) but what a lot of hassle and ill will to the company concerned.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Feb-11 12:32:28
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
The only way to stop The Occupier paper spam is to apply to Royal Mail to stop all un-named mail.

Rather annoyingly, RM see mail with "The Occupier" on it as named mail.

I'd be tempted to return it as "no-one of this name lives here"

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to