User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 20:52:24
Print Post

Fixed IP

[link to this post]

Simple question really. Is it possible to obtain from Virgin Cable a fixed IP address and if so what is the cost?

David
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Feb-11 21:10:13
Print Post

Re: Fixed IP

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Nope.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Feb-11 21:18:56
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

Not 100% correct.

You can get a fixed IP on a business service, but expect to pay muuuuuucccchhhh more per month for the luxury.

It also also been known for them to require it be changed when they change network address assignments.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JohnGray7581
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 07:29:18
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Not 100% correct.

You can get a fixed IP on a business service, but expect to pay muuuuuucccchhhh more per month for the luxury.

It also also been known for them to require it be changed when they change network address assignments.
Not 100% correct!
it's an extra £10 a month for the so-called "fixed" IP address on Business Broadband. "Fixed" means "will stay the same until we move your connections to a different UBR, or do another network reorganisation, or some other reason". They now commit to telling you in advance about this change of IP address, whereas previously you found that your Exchange Server didn't work any more on a Monday morning. We've 'only' had it happen a total of three times on three separate cable lines in five years...
Standard User JohnGray7581
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 07:32:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Simple question really. Is it possible to obtain from Virgin Cable a fixed IP address and if so what is the cost?

David

To answer the original post. Even though consumers can't get a 'fixed' IP address, in practice the IP address you get can stay unchanged for several years. Think "DHCP reservation". My home IP address has stayed the same for at least 2½ years. Which is not to say it won't change tomorrow!
Standard User trolleybus
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 11:57:20
Print Post

[re: JohnGray7581] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnGray7581:
In reply to a post by uno:
Not 100% correct.

Not 100% correct!
it's an extra £10 a month for the so-called "fixed" IP address on Business Broadband. "Fixed" means "will stay the same until we move your connections to a different UBR, or do another network reorganisation, or some other reason". They now commit to telling you in advance about this change of IP address, whereas previously you found that your Exchange Server didn't work any more on a Monday morning. We've 'only' had it happen a total of three times on three separate cable lines in five years...

This is all very frustrating and quite beyond me why the facility is not available on the domestic cable service. It is true that a dynamic assignment doesn't change that often but my experience has been a change does occur at least once a year.

My Company gives me the opportunity to connect into the office remotely for data and voice but for added security requires my IP address to be added into their firewall. Supplying the dynamically supplied IP address is all I can oblige them with and that's fine for quite a while. But sods law when the IP address does change it always seems to be when sysadmin are not available coupled with an urgent need for a remote connection.

If other domestic broadband suppliers are able to supply a fix IP address then why can't it be made available to virgin customers? And why should it cost so much to have it when it is available?

Comments about Fixed IPs changing with Virgin was an interesting aside and really suprising. I sure the same doesn't happen with other ISPs.

David
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 12:08:01
Print Post

Virgin and Sky are both fussy in this area, i.e. if you are using a domestic connection for business they might want to force you onto the business products.

BT do similar in that if you order a domestic package on a business phone line they refuse order.

On the static IP - have had same static from Zen since 2001, and that included moving 20 miles down the road, and numerous changes in line from 0.5Meg, to 1Meg to 2Meg to Max.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 12:08:38
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

require it be changed

I knew this, and its therefore not fixed tongue I have had a fixed IP for more than two years now and even with network IP changes from entanet my static gateway IP remains the same.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 12:13:33
Print Post

[re: JohnGray7581] [link to this post]

Your talking about the IP addresses your own home router assigns, yes, you can reserve an IP for a particular MAC address is most routers. You cannot however force to keep your own IP address if its not static as after a resync your gateway IP will change.

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 15:16:05
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by krazykizza:
Your talking about the IP addresses your own home router assigns, yes, you can reserve an IP for a particular MAC address is most routers. You cannot however force to keep your own IP address if its not static as after a resync your gateway IP will change.

I don't think he is. On Virgin, provided you don't have your service off for more than a few days (trying to find the exact time from my logs but I'm struggling) and don't change your MAC address of the device connected to the modem then the IP wont change unless Virgin do engineering work that mean you can no longer have that IP.

I've only had 3 IPs since I've been with Virgin. 1 on 20Mb, another on 50Mb (different router) and I got moved to a completely different UBR in December last year and got my 3rd.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to