User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ciscoccnp
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 12:01:05
Print Post

50 MB Virgin Router (DG480) :- No Option to turn off NAT ?

[link to this post]

I called Virgin asking about 50 MB. (Currently on 20)

The tech guy said :-

They give us a Modem + Router (DG480)
Netgear router CANNOT currently turn off Routing

He also said :It MAY have the option in the future.

He also said :- Virgis is an ISP only and If you have problems with NAT etc, Virgin CANNOT and WILL not help.

THis makes sense, but an ISP should provide pure L3 IP connectivity like they do for 20 MB!!

This means I CANNOT use pass though, and use my existing router for VPN (Linksys which connects directly to the Cable Modem)

Does anyone who already has 50 Mb comment ??
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Feb-11 13:34:44
Print Post

Re: 50 MB Virgin Router (DG480) :- No Option to turn off NAT

[re: ciscoccnp] [link to this post]

There is no supported way to disable the routing and have it work like a modem until they finish the trials of the newer firmware which does this.

However.....

Plug your cable routerís WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the VMDG280.
Plug your PC into any VMDG280 LAN port and access the management page by entering 192.168.0.1 into your web browser
Login to the VMDG280 the username/password details are on a sticker on the side of your hub (more help here)
On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router list.
Note the MAC address of the router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig /all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which)
Now go to the DMZ host page on the VMDG280 and enter the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10). This means that the VMDG280 will pass all traffic to the second router without any checks or filters
Additional Suggestion:- At this stage it would also be wise to turn off the VMDG280 wireless functionality and firewall and let your second router provide this for you
Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login to the second router and set the routerís WAN setup for "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO, this may also be known as Internet Connection type - "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" (it varies from router to router) and then you should see the WAN or internet as 192.168.0.10
Connect any remaining devices to the second router as the Virgin Hub is now being used as a basic modem only
The changes are now complete

The instructions above will work for the VMDG280 and VMDG480

I'm simply quoting another website, I have not tried this and cant vouch if it works or not.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png

Edited by pete_thomson (Fri 18-Feb-11 13:35:18)

Standard User ciscoccnp
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 19:37:26
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

Thank you !! Do you have the link to the original web site ? In case it has any more info ?

The only thing that I am not 100% sure about this approach is if the VPN tunnel from my second router would have any issue, becuase its behind NAT.

What you have effectively described, is just a bypass for the firewall, which IS GOOD, because it MAY eleimate IPSec Passthrough issues...

I am tempted to give this a try.. If I do go ahead and try this out, I will Post the results smile

THANKS !!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ceedee
(committed) Fri 18-Feb-11 22:23:11
Print Post

[re: ciscoccnp] [link to this post]

I suspect it may be this one.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Feb-11 18:04:29
Print Post

[re: ceedee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ceedee: