User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xedarius
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 19:19:32
Print Post

Connected today, good speed, poor ping, advice?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Today was the big turn on, so to speak. I got my 50mb broadband today, and so far it's far very good, speedtest.net tell me I'm getting close to the 50mb.

However, my pings are all over the place. Pings to jolt,BBC,virgin media vary from 15ms to 100ms. This makes online gaming a real nightmare.

Anyone have any advice on how to improve the ping?

Thanks
Darius
Standard User ViliusUK
(newbie) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:47:52
Print Post

Re: Connected today, good speed, poor ping, advice?

[re: xedarius] [link to this post]

I think u have 1 month to cancel. my advice is leave VM.I'm having big problems since November,sky high pings,huge packet loss.Broadband unusable after 3pm every day,forget about online gaming! Cant wait for my contract to finish.
Standard User xedarius
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 22:59:42
Print Post

[re: ViliusUK] [link to this post]

That doesn't sound so good.

Yes I think I have a month.

You're really that unhappy?

I really can't argue with the download speed, just the ping times are crazy. Thing that sucks is I can see it has the potential it be great with the occasional 15ms ping.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:01:04
Print Post

Try turning off IP Flood protection in your Superhub.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User xedarius
(member) Sat 19-Feb-11 23:41:57
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, however sadly that setting didn't seem to make any difference.

Also doesn't ip flooding relate to attacks on the router rather than outgoing traffic?
Standard User ViliusUK
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 09:07:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by xedarius:
That doesn't sound so good.

Yes I think I have a month.

You're really that unhappy?

I really can't argue with the download speed, just the ping times are crazy. Thing that sucks is I can see it has the potential it be great with the occasional 15ms ping.

its not just me.have a look on virgin forums http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broad...

You can post your problem there.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Feb-11 10:54:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by xedarius:
Thanks for the reply, however sadly that setting didn't seem to make any difference.

Also doesn't ip flooding relate to attacks on the router rather than outgoing traffic?
It is known to cause problems which is why I suggested turning it off.
If you check pingtest.net with it on and then off you will see a big difference. Whether that difference is there in real-world usage though I really can't say.

You have a 30 day happiness guarantee so if you can't get the issue fixed use that instead.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User driz
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 15:10:14
Print Post

I got connected a few days ago to 30meg - and like you, speeds are good, with 30meg down and 3 meg up. But also like you, pings are bad - I think 30ms with jitter of 20ms. This isn't quite as bad as you I suppose, but it's really not good enough, when with Be I can get 10ms and jitter of 0ms.

So I've ordered Be and will cancel Virgin within the 28 day period. It's a bit of a pity, but after what I've read about on their forums where they take months and months to resolve utilisation issues and this poor latency, I'm not taking a chance.
Standard User Roph
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 15:22:36
Print Post

[re: driz] [link to this post]

Disable the IP flood protection setting in the super hub. Pingtest triggers this since it essentially looks DOS-like. When I first got onto 30MB with the super hub, I had bad jitter like you. With that IP flood setting disabled, my pingtest results dropped to 0ms jitter.

===============
Virgin Media 30Mb
Standard User driz
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 15:50:57
Print Post

[re: Roph] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip but this is one of the first thigns I did. Had been watching a variety of virgin forums before ordering, and jitter is basically what I expected... but part of me liked the idea of 30meg and deluded myself that my area would be one of the better ones. frown
  Print Thread

Jump to