User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 13:49:39
Print Post

50meg high usage detrimental use of your broadband letter

[link to this post]

Hi, I have just received a letter from virgin media subject Detrimental use of your broadband connection.
I am on 50 meg for about 2 years and this is the first time I have had any complaints about usage. Has anyone else had the same.
The only recent change is I have got a Fonera+ box from Fon (BTFON). This allows free wifi from BTFON. My log shows no one has connected to my btfon hopspot.
Is this letter a new tactic to upgrade to 100meg when availible!
Regards
Jon
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Feb-11 15:57:56
Print Post

Re: 50meg high usage detrimental use of your broadband lett

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

I've seen other posts about these letters. What they don't like is heavy peak time downloads. Do you have any idea how much you've actually downloaded?

There was a discussion on the VM board about it where a VM employee mentioned 350GB in peak times as being a trigger but several customers said they had the letter without going that high - possibly this one - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broad...

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Fri 25-Feb-11 16:38:33
Print Post

do you use a net meter..?? what kind of usage do you think you are close to..?

i'm not a heavy downloader but there can be 2 desktops and 2 laptops all connected and also an xbox playing on xbox live....all using bandwidth at the same time sometimes......never have any issues with usage...

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ i use that net meter to give me a rough indication of my usage..average 75-150Gb per mnth

that does not include usage from the laptops but i'ts not that much..poss on average another 20Gb per mnth combined...

also i take it your home network is secure if using a wireless network.......

-----------------------------------------------------
virgin media B/B .xxl....50Mbps....... T/V .xl......v+ hd .......... L/L .talk unlimited
http://www.pingtest.net/result/35308760.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1170673985.png

My Broadband Ping

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 17:15:33
Print Post

I have justed installed thinkbroadband usage meter on my pc's and wireles is always secured.
Why doesn't virgin media have a usage meter in the selfcare area?

even if you are a high level user, it is sold as fully unlimited, there are 118,00 customers on 50 meg. This is 3 million a month revenue!

They have now brought in p2p and nntp trafic management on the 50meg ;(

I dont belive this should have any effect on other customers. I wish BE Unlimited did fiber. Now tempted to go back to BE @17meg. as Virgin media 10 and now 30meg sevice has a useless traffic menagement.
On 50meg i pay £25 p/m and £13 p/m phone, I dont wont the phone but my 50meg package goes up to £35 p/m if I dont take the phone.
I Think when the 100meg rollout is complete they will cripple the 50meg service to get people to upgrade.
Oh well just have to make sure any downloads are after 9pm.
Jon
Standard User Mhisani
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 17:25:26
Print Post

BE is owned by o2 / telefonica. Who have started to degrade o2's broadband products. I see this coming to BE soon enough.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Feb-11 19:45:53
Print Post

[re: Mhisani] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mhisani:
BE is owned by o2 / telefonica. Who have started to degrade o2's broadband products. I see this coming to BE soon enough.

BE's prices are much higher than O2's and they don't have discounts for having O2 phones or giving 3 months free or ......

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Fri 25-Feb-11 23:02:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by commsguru:
I have justed installed thinkbroadband usage meter on my pc's and wireles is always secured.
Why doesn't virgin media have a usage meter in the selfcare area?

even if you are a high level user, it is sold as fully unlimited, there are 118,00 customers on 50 meg. This is 3 million a month revenue!

They have now brought in p2p and nntp trafic management on the 50meg ;(

I dont belive this should have any effect on other customers. I wish BE Unlimited did fiber. Now tempted to go back to BE @17meg. as Virgin media 10 and now 30meg sevice has a useless traffic menagement.
On 50meg i pay £25 p/m and £13 p/m phone, I dont wont the phone but my 50meg package goes up to £35 p/m if I dont take the phone.
I Think when the 100meg rollout is complete they will cripple the 50meg service to get people to upgrade.
Oh well just have to make sure any downloads are after 9pm.
Jon

m8 no offence meant here.....

but you really do need to understand the limits of the package you are on with VM......apart from P2P and newsgroups being limited at PEAK times..the 50Mb service is unlimited as such....the only other limit you have is on the upload at PEAK times.and even then there is a massive amount of data transfer before the stm kicks in...and also it is only if you have had the upgraded upload to 5Mb from 1.5Mb.....

i cant for the life of me understand how any user can use 6Gb of upload data transfer during peak times per DAY........

i hope you get things sorted and you better understand the limits of your VM connection..because if managed properly then you have a great connection to use ...

plenty of people in the uk would love to be able to get VM but cant because of location ect..

so it kind of annoys me when you see someone that can get VM and does have VM but just whines (not wines) about it because they can't manage it properly...........

stm for 1.5Mb upload :
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/...

stm for 5Mb upload :
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/...

have a nice day wink

edit: i got my whines and wine mixed up .lol

virgin media B/B .xxl....50Mbps....... T/V .xl......v+ hd .......... L/L .talk unlimited
http://www.pingtest.net/result/35308760.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1170673985.png

My Broadband Ping

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by djfunkdup (Fri 25-Feb-11 23:23:08)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Feb-11 08:35:05
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by djfunkdup:
but you really do need to understand the limits of the package you are on with VM......apart from P2P and newsgroups being limited at PEAK times..the 50Mb service is unlimited as such....the only other limit you have is on the upload at PEAK times

The AUP applies to ALL VM bradband products. Unlike the STM throttling that has vague undisclosed limits and exceeding one of those is why the letter was sent.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to