User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-11 17:13:30
Print Post

Can not get virgin media to install a service

[link to this post]

Hello I have been with Virgin media 50mb for a couple of years and it is very good.

I am trying to get it installed for my sister at her home. If I order online it lists only one house in the street. Where my sister lives the house was built about 7 years ago. Virgin media sent out a manager to look if they can supply cable. The manager has deceided that they can not supply it!
The green cable box is the other side of the garden wall at my sisters. About 3 inces away from the garden wall. Then about 5 meters of garden to the house.
The front of the house also has pipe with some blue rope running in it. I guess this rope is for installing cable.
I phone virgin media back to talk about this and the connection rep seems not to understance how cable works, he said they run fiber optics fromthe grenn cabinet to the front of the house. I explained it is fiber to the green cabinet then co-ax to the house. He disagreed,I asked him had he ever seen how cable is installed, he said no.
anyway how can i get them to send an engineer out rather the a useless manager with old maps and info. I think an engineer would have no trouble installing a cable,as I say the green cabinet is only 3 inches from the property.
I am tempted to install the cable run myself but that would be illeagal.
any idea's
Standard User DannyD12
(learned) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:32:12
Print Post

Re: Can not get virgin media to install a service

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

Surely it's not illegal to do the cable run on your Sisters property (presuming she owns it or has permission), it's just not legal to touch their equipment. Therefore it really depends who the blue pipe belongs to if it's not your sisters then obviously you can't use it but it doesn't stop you putting your own in.

The problem is even if you did legally do the cabling up to the fence it doesn't mean Virgin would use it, I have a feeling they wouldn't but just a feeling no experience with them myself.

My dad had a similar issue when Cable was first intalled as he was the first house on an unadopted road that wasn't cabled whereas the main road was.

My dad cabled it from his house right up to the join between adopted and unadopted road and asked them to connect which they did but this was years ago when cable was first installed and it wasn't even NTL then let alone Virgin Media. Took us a while to dig as the house to road was alot further than 5 metres unfortunately!

If you do go this route be sure to have enough cable left over for them to connect smile
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:42:58
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

if you go to the link below and type in your address ((sister`s) details
a virgin rep will come and look at your sister`s house and then
they will see she can it

https://shop.virginmedia.com/homevisit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:59:31
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Johnct:
if you go to the link below and type in your address ((sister`s) details
a virgin rep will come and look at your sister`s house and then
they will see she can it

https://shop.virginmedia.com/homevisit

Did you read his post at all? someone came out and already looked and said no they cannot install

Sky Broadband
Unlimited

Edited by BuckleZ (Thu 03-Mar-11 13:59:44)

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 14:03:25
Print Post

[re: DannyD12] [link to this post]

I would think that VM wouldn't use a users own cabling, as if there was a problem then whose cable is to blame.

The engineer (loose term) that installed our cable across the lawn said that even if I went through the cable with a spade someone would be out to repair it FOC.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 14:05:13
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Maybe an engineer will be sent and NOT a manager this time!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Johnct
(committed) Thu 03-Mar-11 14:05:37
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

i guess you did not read all the post yourself ! poor buckle

Virgin media sent out a manager to look if they can supply cable. The manager has deceided that they can not supply it!

i
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 14:32:28
Print Post

[re: Johnct] [link to this post]

A manager is as competant as an engineer to decide on this... When i got virgin installed in a flat a few years ago i got a manager out to survey the site.

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User DannyD12
(learned) Thu 03-Mar-11 15:41:44
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I would think that VM wouldn't use a users own cabling, as if there was a problem then whose cable is to blame.

The engineer (loose term) that installed our cable across the lawn said that even if I went through the cable with a spade someone would be out to repair it FOC.

This is why I didn't think they'd go for it, it was different in ~2000 as the cable company was a local operation that had much more latitude I presume.
Standard User Ribble
(learned) Thu 03-Mar-11 16:04:31
Print Post

Re: Can not get virgin media to install a service *DELETED*

[re: DannyD12] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Ribble
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to