User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User don240
(regular) Wed 06-Apr-11 14:56:15
Print Post

Packet loss (repost as I posted in the wrong forum)

[link to this post]

Against my better judgement & not having £100 - £150. to have a bt line installed I decided to go with Virgin (30 meg) my speed is fine & apart from poor wireless range on my (not so) super hub, my only issue is the amount of packet loss I am getting, I don't do a lot of gaming but I would like to do some, but I am seeing a hell of a lot of packet loss. I am working on a wireless connection one room away from my router & setting a wired connection is not a practical option, any suggestions on how to improve things?

[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/38286121.png[/IMG]

The one above is actually a good result, I have seen 90% packet loss.

If you think its bad now, Wait untill after the next election.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Apr-11 15:10:12
Print Post

Re: Packet loss (repost as I posted in the wrong forum)

[re: don240] [link to this post]

Wireless is never the best option especially for gaming too much lag and wireless isn't as reliable as a cable, as for packet loss have you tried pinging your router? ping it for say 500 or a 1000 packets to see if the packet loss is between your pc and router(using wire & wireless) as the speedtest results are not conclusive to determine if the packet loss is on your network, pc-router or the isp's network to the internet

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 06-Apr-11 15:11:35)

Standard User don240
(regular) Wed 06-Apr-11 15:48:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Unfortunatly using a wired connection is a complicated option due to the layout of my home, I cant rally use home plugs either due to the lack of sockets I have available (I already have a 6 in one adaptor for my av system) the modem is on a seperate plug, & away from the rest of my setup, but as I am seeing up to 90% packet loss, surely this can't all be down to using a wirelss connection?

My wireles signal is about 50 - 60%. I hear that there is a firmware update due for the super hub, will this maybe help?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Apr-11 16:53:36
Print Post

Thats a known issue with the superhub - login to the gui http://192.168.0.1 user admin pass changeme (unless you did) then click the advanced settings link under the big friendly red buttons. Click Services (about 1/3 way down menu) and in there uncheck the IP Flood Detection option and click apply.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
Standard User don240
(regular) Wed 06-Apr-11 21:10:56
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Done that thankyou, it worked

[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/38342212.png[/IMG]

But, what is IP Flood detection?

Edited by don240 (Wed 06-Apr-11 21:11:44)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Apr-11 07:41:32
Print Post

It detects lots of packets coming from the same IP address over a short period and blocks them - not too handy when doing pingtest.

They actually released a firmware update last night which fixes this although how I don't know - it either ignores pings, alters the threshold or simply turns it all off regardless of setting. It's a pretty pointless protection on a home router imo.

To get the updated firmware you need to power the hub down wait 30 seconds then power it up again and it will download the new firmware.

Standard User don240
(regular) Thu 07-Apr-11 19:53:31
Print Post

Thank's for that. I have rebooted, & as you say, the pings now work correctly.

Just the wireless range to sort out, & we might even get a decent router yet. ...

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Apr-11 21:44:46
Print Post

The range of the wireless is unlikely to be fixed with firmware. They hopefully can stop it booting everybody off if two wireless users have the audacity to connect at the same time though which is what mine does.

Standard User don240
(regular) Sat 09-Apr-11 06:19:24
Print Post

Don't have that problem, theres only me here, one wireless pc & a wired bluray player (sony bdp s370, plays any file I throw at it & has catch up tv built in).

My pc is one room away on the same floor, but it only connects at 40 - 60% & its wireless "N" my last setup was a belkin adsl router two rooms away on a different floor & that was always 100% solid.

Print Thread

Jump to