User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User biffs
(member) Fri 17-Jun-11 19:53:31
Print Post

Monitoring usage

[link to this post]

Hi Folks - I'm a Mac user, with a MacBook Pro, iMac, iPhone and iPad all using my local wifi quite happily.

Even when all this stuff is switched off (and I mean off, not just idle or on standy) the flashy lights on my cable modem and adjoining router still blink away merrily with no discernible pattern. I have got the system securely passworded with a word no one is likely to guess or find by accident, but am still suspicious that it's being used by someone locally. Or is that just what it does whilst searching for someone to communicate with?

Grateful for your comments please.

Bill
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Mon 20-Jun-11 13:35:26
Print Post

Re: Monitoring usage

[re: biffs] [link to this post]

What type of security are you using? WEP or WPA? If WEP then it's trivial to crack these days so someone could have found the security key. Even WPA is breakable.

I'd suggest chnging the password nd seeing if the problem goes away - at least temporarily.
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 16:53:41
Print Post

[re: biffs] [link to this post]

You are seeing the very common phenomenon of Internet Background Noise.

Basically, there is a small amount of traffic hitting your IP that is unsolicited - it could be people running port scans, virus / worm traffic looking for new victims, traffic hitting your IP from another previous user of that IP (such as you getting the dynamic IP of someone who runs torrents and machines attempt to connect back to the IP expecting the last guy to be there).

There is also a small amount of local subnet broadcasting going on on each VM segment as users power on and off their modems - yours will appear to be responding too.

In short, it's completely normal and to be expected - nothing to worry about what so ever.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User biffs
(member) Wed 22-Jun-11 10:54:16
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

Thanks to you both for your replies, and sorry I've been away for a while and not replied before.

I do already have a very strong WPA password, so thought it very strange that it could have been broken but I'll change it anyhow as suggested by ionic, and am grateful for Pete's interesting explanation of other things that happen that most users are completely unaware of.

It's really good that such clever, helpful people are on here.

Bill
  Print Thread

Jump to