User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 12:20:00
Print Post

Re: Super Hub - leave on 24/7 or turn off?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Afternoon Andrew

Agreed the "Nominal Value" is 230 Volts; but I have a monitor running continually, at this instant it is reading 246.4 V, generally hovering around 246 V toady; and although not "calibrated", has been informally compared with others for some assurance of its accuracy.

It is very rare for it to go below 240 V; and in winter is generally around 250 V, rising close to 260 V.

Initially after getting the meter, I was surprised how frequently and almost constantly the reading was decidedly "high" - but I am now accustomed to it.

The nearest Power Station is about 15 miles away, whilst many of the houses locally were built as "all-electric", so tending to have higher electrical loadings with therefore greater inherent cable losses, than mixed-fuel houses.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:11:30
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

You have replied to the wrong post. Anybody viewing this board in threaded mode will probably be mightily puzzled by your post which has absolutely no relevance to mine.
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:50:25
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Take a look at Andrew's post, last paragraph/sentence, immediately preceding mine.

Extract-
"
BTW 2, UK mains has not had a nominal value of 240V RMS for some years, the specification is now 230V bringing us closer to the common EU value
"

In fact although the EU Nominal Voltage is 230 V, it has a tolerance of -6% +10% to allow the UK Generating System to continue to run at 240 V, the design voltage for the UK system.

The lower tolerance of -6% is to include the 220 V systems of several other European countries.

So equipment designed to run centred on 230 V, would be put under a constant additional strain when used in the UK.

Then add in my observed voltages approaching 260 V ... .

No wonder equipment fails prematurely.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-11 14:57:45
Print Post

... and it still has nothing to do with the superhub requiring a reboot because it has locked up which it what I replied to with the comment about buggy firmware and which branch of the topic all your info about mains voltages etc. is now attached to.
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:39:05
Print Post

My apologies,

I thought I had attached it to the relevant thread.

Possibly Andrew can move it to the correct thread?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:40:05
Print Post

If someone is convinced the power supply being over voltage by 4 or 5 volts from spec will induce errors in a CPU then I guess that is what they believe.

Myself I am more willing to believe, that things like stale NAT sessions, too little memory and manufacturing defects or the use of sub standard (i.e. cheaper components) lead to most of the problems.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-11 16:58:44
Print Post

It's on the correct thread but you didn't reply to the correct post.

Unlike most boards which just have a series of posts in chronological order and if you are replying to a post several back from the last you quote the part you are replying to this board also supports threaded mode and you just click reply on the post you want to respond to.

As it happens this thread is in a mess anyway so it really doesn't matter but with some threads which branch off into several sub-threads just tacking a post on the end can cause considerable confusion.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Jul-11 17:03:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In the case of the Superhub most of the problems are due to badly coded firmware causing the wretched thing to hang or the gui to become unresponsive or the WiFi to refuse connections or any one of the hundreds of other complaints the thing attracts.

The installers just bunging it on the 10v 1A psu which the modem it is replacing had doesn't help either as it needs a 12v 1.5A PSU.

All of which is way way off the original topic of whether or not the things should be turned off overnight or not.
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 19:31:15
Print Post

Thank you for the explanation.

I have extensive experience of others in the genealogical field particularly - but relatively little on this type of structure and/or presentation; and on this site particularly, although extensive, extended experience in the electrical, electronic and computing fields.
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Jul-11 03:12:26
Print Post

[re: saturn_uranus] [link to this post]

there is a very very low chance of it catching fire, proberbly more chance of ur freezer or washing machine catching fire.

Athlon 64 6000+ AM2 X2, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570 NForce Mainboard, 4GB DDR 2 XMS2 800Mhz Cosair Ram, 6054.81GB Hard Disk Space, 1GB ATI 4670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 50mb Cable

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/932560190.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to