User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(member) Wed 31-Aug-11 12:13:29
Print Post

Keeping existing phone number

[link to this post]

I have had my BT phone number for many years.

I am considering moving over to Virgin broadband and phone; already have Virgin TV package.

I assume that Virgin will be able to take over my existing BT phone number so I don't have to change that. However what if things go wrong and I have to leave Virgin; being the pessimist I am I would like to know in advance whether or not I can get my number back off Virgin to go back, say, to BT?
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Wed 31-Aug-11 13:01:32
Print Post

Re: Keeping existing phone number

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

" can get my number back off Virgin"

Yes!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User adrian109
(learned) Wed 31-Aug-11 13:08:45
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
" can get my number back off Virgin"

Yes!

Be warned, I went from BT to Sky and took my phone number with me. Whilst on Sky I transferred to Sky's own line rental. When I tried to move back to BT, I was told by BT that Sky had control over my number and that I wouldn't be able to keep it as the numbers go into a central pool and its first come first served basis mean't my number was given to someone else.

So when I finally went back to BT I had to choose a new number.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Aug-11 14:01:02
Print Post

[re: adrian109] [link to this post]

Different scenario

The BT - VM - BT porting situation has existed a lot longer, and thus deals on porting are in place. No requirement on the LLU phone providers to let you port numbers back...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User athegn
(member) Wed 31-Aug-11 17:44:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew

From your reply I read that I can get my number back should I leave Virgin?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 31-Aug-11 19:50:22
Print Post

I've just tried to move a phone number from Virgin back to BT, where it originated. BT said I would lose the number, so I moved it to Sky instead with no problem.

I don't know why BT were unable to do that - they blamed Virgin and asked me to call Virgin to sort it out. Virgin insisted they weren't the problem, so it looks like the problem was BT.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User normcall
(member) Wed 31-Aug-11 20:28:51
Print Post

I understand that - once again- there is yet another organisation that allocates telephone numbers.
When BT cut me off (by accident) I found I couldn't have my old number back unless I really shouted at them as they said it was out of their hands. This after just a few hours, by the way!
I got it back after 3 weeks having lost my broadband connection (tied to telephone number) and that was another battle.

I can't believe that BT manage to be so absolutely incompetent sometimes and other time brilliant. One 'branch' will not talk to another, but they have the same banking and accounting, so exactly where is this separation that seems to be the cause of so much trouble?
Standard User hk11
(experienced) Fri 16-Sep-11 18:45:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by athegn:
I assume that Virgin will be able to take over my existing BT phone number so I don't have to change that.

NEVER assume! smile

In reply to a post by athegn:
I would like to know in advance whether or not I can get my number back off Virgin to go back, say, to BT?

In theory you should be able to keep your number. In practice it's usually a lottery. frown

I managed to port my VM number to BT then back to VM, but as far as I know there are no rules in place. frown

---
Keef- Dartford Kent UK - VirginMedia 10M
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise,
Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, NTL, Pipex, E7
===========
  Print Thread

Jump to