User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DJScuzzy
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-11 21:19:30
Print Post

100mb and Superhub

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just requested upgrade to 100mb from 50mb.. I had been worried by lack of modem/bridge mode in the superhub, as my current setup is very dependent on my linux box have a public facing IP.

but this post, dated in march 2011:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broa...
allayed my fears.

However, recent posts on this forum suggest that bridge/modem mode is not possible in current firmware, and that i've just missed the latest beta test!

So my questions are :
1) has anyone successfully tested the above method from March 2011?

or

2) Has anyone successfully presuaded the VM engineer to just activate the 100mb on their current old 50mb modem?

Many thanks for your quick replies as the engineer is coming on Saturday, and the lack of a public facing IP would be a deal changer.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Sep-11 06:27:40
Print Post

Re: 100mb and Superhub

[re: DJScuzzy] [link to this post]

They won't let you keep the modem and the current Superhub firmware will not let you operate it as a pure modem. The upcoming firmware will but is currently in testing. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that it will be released by Saturday.
Standard User jms_uk
(regular) Thu 01-Sep-11 10:27:07
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Have you got R30 yet? (Beta Tester)....

Been having a look on Cableforums and Virgin's own forums and although a lot of people are talking about getting R30 I'm assuming they've signed up for the beta... there doesn't appear to be any info about when the rest of us would get it (I'm booked in for connection/activation on the 14th but would I be right in thinking I'm unlikely to get a superhub with R30 pre-installed for then?)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Sep-11 11:35:26
Print Post

[re: jms_uk] [link to this post]

The OP has a modem (he said so).

You will most certainly get a Superhub as VM are no longer supplying modems. There is a chance that R30 may be released to all by 14th but they could find more bugs or want a longer testing period. Firmware upgrades are outside of user control. The latest firmware available will be automatically installed when it is first connected and updated if necessary when rebooted.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Sep-11 16:19:37
Print Post

I had left virgin media as it totally rubbish with superhub

plusnetADSL2+13 Meg
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 16:50:50
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:

You claimed to have been given your VMNG300 back for 100Mb. This comment can probably be taken about as seriously as everything else you say.
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Sep-11 16:53:32
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

You claimed to have been given your VMNG300 back for 100Mb. This comment can probably be taken about as seriously as everything else you say.

Virgin Media won't let me use my old VMNG300 as they disconnected it and told me to use superhub! So, their loss!

plusnetADSL2+13 Meg
Standard User jms_uk
(regular) Thu 01-Sep-11 16:56:10
Print Post

Well, one can hope.

From what I've read, their dev/qa process with respect to firmware seems a bit of a mess. I'm assuming they must have had some kind of minimum UAT sign off and if previous firmwares failed to make the grade and were subsequently scrapped in favour of a newer release and subsequent different release window then that doesn't bode well...

..except for those beta testers who were left on the beta firmware and, I assume, using their equipment with at least as much functionality as pre-beta?? I guess you sign up at your own risk, but even if those previous beta firmware releases didn't fix all of the issues VM were hoping for, they must have been at least moderately fit for purpose? Assuming R30 adds the much requested features and doesn't utterly fall apart leaving beta testers with no recourse but to downgrade to an earlier release.. just how much UAT are virgin expecting before releasing to the masses? (Its never possible to test 100% of the bugs out of any software, but there's got to a be a minimum safe distance surely? Can nuke the site from orbit..) wink
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 17:02:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

Virgin Media won't let me use my old VMNG300 as they disconnected it and told me to use superhub! So, their loss!

Odd you didn't post this anywhere else on forums and hardly their loss. Congratulations on (allegedly) getting out of yet another triple play contract early with presumably no disconnection charges.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Sep-11 17:38:42
Print Post

Do you have access to a Virgin Media connection now, or just Plusnet as per signature?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to