User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Sep-11 15:14:46
Print Post

Thinking of changing to VM 100mb line? feedback pls

[link to this post]

Well more than thinking guess unless I get some real horror stories I will buy the new service tonight.

I'm on sky at the moment, but the distance to the exchange is far so line speed at best is juster below 3mb.

My missus works from home for companies like rackspace, so needs a solid line, (although Sky is very good we have of late had a few issues)

So any feedback would be great!

| It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over. .|

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Tue 06-Sep-11 15:38:38
Print Post

Re: Thinking of changing to VM 100mb line? feedback pls

[re: Wab] [link to this post]

does what it is supposed to do this end.....100% ..smile

that was an easy answer lol..

a couple of things to note:

people have been reporting problems with the wireless feature of the superhub (shub).
i have it disabled as i do not use wireless.all devices my end are hardwired..its just the way i prefer to have my home network connected to the shub..

the wireless problems will be getting sorted soon by way of a new firmware update 'r30'

another problem people are reporting is not being able to use your own router as the shub does not support 'bridge mode'..this would enable you to use your own router and the shub would than just act as a modem only..various reasons for that including better wireless range ect..

apart from the wireless problems and the function to support bridge mode not being active at the moment.i cant really think of anything else to point out to you..

anything else you would like to know just ask..smile

edit: i forgot to add that the 'bridge mode' feature will be also be getting fixed in the same ' 'r30' firmware update..so the 2 ongoing issues wireless and bridge mode will both be sorted soon..the new firmware is in beta testing.i cant give a date when it will be released.

hope this helps.. smile

Virgin Media 100 My Broadband Ping

Edited by djfunkdup (Tue 06-Sep-11 15:44:04)

Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Sep-11 15:53:48
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Our main 2 PC's are wired in, so thats not a problem, tho I do use the Xbox to stream movies/TV etc, and my partners son uses wireless on his laptop ( he is only 7)

So will I have issues with the xbox?

| It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over. .|

|noneLLU|nonenone |

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Tue 06-Sep-11 16:54:02
Print Post

i cant really answer that tbh....i have not even tried the wireless to see how well it copes..

it does work but there have been reports that the coverage is not as good and the single modem + router set up that users were using before they got switched over to the shub..users on the 50Mb for example.

i also play online with my xbox,though it is hard wired..but i have no problems with connection,ping, lag ect.

this problem does not seam to be widespread.i was just making you aware of it as you asked if there were any issues/horror stories wink

going by what i have read on virgin media forums and others i would describe it as an issue rather than a widespread horror story..

Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Sep-11 18:32:43
Print Post

Well cheers for replies ordered now will be installed on the 30th as need to wait for sky notice period to expire

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Sep-11 20:11:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Wab:
Well more than thinking guess unless I get some real horror stories I will buy the new service tonight.

I'm on sky at the moment, but the distance to the exchange is far so line speed at best is juster below 3mb.

My missus works from home for companies like rackspace, so needs a solid line, (although Sky is very good we have of late had a few issues)

So any feedback would be great!

VM are stable as in you should rarely if ever get drops, lately have had few routing issues (one of which I think was actually a DPI issue). Thats whats relevant to her working from home.

You may see congestion depending on your area as well.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 06-Sep-11 20:11:32)

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Tue 06-Sep-11 21:49:51
Print Post

no problem you are welcome wink

Chrysalis does make a good point regarding congestion on the vm network..this does seam to be a common problem reported by users on this site and others sites like this one..

but i think it boils back down to the fact that only users with issues report there bad experiences,users that are happy with there service dont tend to mention it because they are happy with there service..

a few virgin media users have tried to map the problem areas but as soon as some users report bad service then users in the same area report having no issues so it makes it really hard to map out..

virgin media allow you to leave within 28 days if you are not happy with there service..

quote:

28-day money-back guarantee

Love your cable or mobile services, or get your money back.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/why-choose-us.html

good luck on the 30th m8 im sure you will be happy with the service wink

Standard User Wab
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Sep-11 22:20:19
Print Post

Cheers will be a great increase in speed we get just under 3mb now tongue

|noneLLU|nonenone |
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Wed 07-Sep-11 23:10:47
Print Post

yea you sure will notice a diff in speed...3-100 a big jump wink

other important things apart from the diff in speed that you will notice are,web sites that are loaded will have a much quicker response time when you open them..

web sites open in an instant,and for example viewing HD videos on you tube..they load instantly as well..

for me the best thing about having virgin media 100 is the sharing of the bandwidth across my home network..

at any* one time there can be 2 desktop pc's, 1 laptop and 1 xbox all online at the same time,and as yet i have not seen any issues on any of the devices the matter what applications are running.plenty of bandwidth for them all to function..

gawd you would think i was a fanboy lol smile..nothing of the kind.used to be with nthell years ago and believe me it was not plain sailing smile

edit:*

Edited by djfunkdup (Wed 07-Sep-11 23:31:39)

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Sep-11 12:12:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Wab:
Cheers will be a great increase in speed we get just under 3mb now tongue

I went from just under 3 -> 20 -> 50 and now I'm back to about 3.
Stupid stuff like Windows updates now take 30-40 mins whereas they used to just a few, and I have to rethink my browsing habits.

I frequent a photography forum where the posts are picture heavy - I used to open the page and the pics would load as quickly as I could scroll.....but now it's back to pics watching each pic loading. My only hope is to wait to see if my exchange will get fibre some time after 2012.

Trust me, you'll love the speed and will hate having anything less!

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
Speedtest to TBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to