User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:07:50
Print Post

VM Speed: Wired vs Wireless Query

[link to this post]

Yet again, BT issues are pushing me towards Virgin Media.

One of the things that has put me off a move to cable before now is that when I had Cable & Wireless/NTL for telephone and TV the installation was under the front garden and into the sitting room—where I never work. For most of the time, I work at the back of the house, separated from the aforesaid sitting room by an inside wall or a walk through one door, out of the kitchen door, a long a short hallway and into the sitting room.

My ADSL router is situated at the master BT phone socket, enabling me to work wired or wireless. A cable router set up in the sitting room would leave me 100% dependent upon wireless.

To what extent do current VM customers find a wireless connection reduces speed from the full 30 or 50 M? Would my insisting on a site survey before I go ahead be advisable?

Thanks
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:10:40
Print Post

Re: VM Speed: Wired vs Wireless Query

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

You could use homeplugs instead, the high end ones will get you better speeds than wireless
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 15:50:17
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

A change from ADSL to cable is a big enough step at the moment. Are you saying that wireless speeds are likely to be much lower than wired speeds?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 16:05:26
Print Post

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Until the last few years wireless speeds weren't much of an issue as your Internet connection was generally the slowest link.

But now we have Virgin's 50/100Mbps connections and FTTC the Internet speeds aren't always the slowest link.

Using Wireless G you certainly won't get the best out of Virgin's higher packages or FTTC. Wireless N should see you getting better speeds but it depends on distance/obstructions and the wireless card vs the wireless router (matching vendors is usually best)

Which is why I say using homeplugs is second best to running an actual Cat5e/Cat6 cable
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-11 17:11:30
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Basically G at best with perfect signal and ideal hardware gives you 25Mbps, more often closer to 20Mbps and I've seen plenty test lower than that.

So yes, and all N network if want to get best from 50 and 100Meg services, and even then a wall or two will cause issues.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 17:56:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep, G is half duplex so even if your sat on the router you loose have the touted 54Mbps straight off
  Print Thread

Jump to