User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 13-Oct-11 13:29:46
Print Post

Router without wireless

[link to this post]

A third hand query so not a lot of info I'm afraid, but someone who has had Virgin cable for a while has assumed that the router they have does not have wireless, no aerial or whatnot on it.

Is that likely. it was installed a few years ago, and if so what is the best/cheapest/ simplest option to get wireless for the laptop they intend to buy?

Request is from a non technical person who just wants wireless for the laptop.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Oct-11 13:46:44
Print Post

Re: Router without wireless

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

If he has had Virgin for a few years he might only have a Cable Modem - so would need to buy a Router to get wireless access for a lappy

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.8 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-11 13:53:49
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

Could it be one of the older single ethernet port cable modems? Still got one of those gathering dust in the cupboard here.... silver thing. That's from a Virgin connection years back though, so no idea if they still use / support them.

I'd imagine any wireless AP (with or without multi-port ethernet switch) would do the job required.

Alternatively as they've been with Virgin for years it may be worth giving Virgin a call and trying to wangle a newer wireless enabled box out of them laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Thu 13-Oct-11 14:35:15
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Thanks both.

As I assume the person in question is "it's working so don't alter it" type of user it may well be an old type of unit that was never updated,.... as I said a third hand query, so not that sure.

I did think that the best option may well be getting a new router as cable routers can be had quite cheaply.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to