User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pbaker38
(newbie) Tue 15-Nov-11 21:10:34
Print Post

Virgin Media or ADSL

[link to this post]

I'm currently with plus net on ADSL but will be moving at the beginning of new year where they have cable services, i have checked on the vm website which says the property indeed does have cable. What are virgin media like or should i avoid them like the plague

Regards

Phillip Baker
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Tue 15-Nov-11 22:59:06
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media or ADSL

[re: pbaker38] [link to this post]

VM are a hopeless bunch of cowboys but - after 6 years with hardly any problems - I'd be very reluctant to move anywhere that didn't have cable.

Get connected and if you're not happy with the service, you can cancel at no cost during the first month.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Nov-11 23:54:28
Print Post

If you avoid the lowest tier products and stick to 30Meg or faster generally OK

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-11 09:40:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There are plenty of oversubscribed DOCSIS3 areas already. Selling 100/10 on local pipes that only manage 200/18 in total and can service several hundred customers as an unlimited product with shaping that is easy to circumvent isn't a recipe for good performance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 09:57:26
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

When will some learn, the circumventing will result in ever harsher methods being employed, and one persons desire for free may impact on the majority

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hollows2
(member) Wed 16-Nov-11 11:13:10
Print Post

I moved from ADSL to Virgin (30M) about 6 months ago and have no complaints. They are a bit more pricey than ADSL but for me ( on a long ropey BT copper line) the speed increase and reliability have been a plus point. I have experienced one outage and the service desk was efficient and very helpful. I live in the South Wales area ( Newport) and haven't experienced the congestion that some areas have reported. All in all from my point of view a good move.
Standard User saturn_uranus
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:18:14
Print Post

I moved to VM from Be a couple of years ago after having a line problem that no one would take ownership of. The speed & reliability has been excellent thus far and I have since move my TV and Telephone service to them. My only gripe is the traffic control on newsgroup access which given that I download less than 10GB per month from the NG is a bit irriatating considering I pay for VMs flagship BB service (at least 50Mb is top for around here atm).

_______
Virgin media 50Mb formerly be* Pro

http://www.speedtest.net/result/768833128.png
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:57:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That may well be coming soon. VM have abandoned their earlier unacceptable use letters threatening disconnection (presumably to fall in line with the ASA ruling on what could and couldn't be called unlimited). I think they'll be more likely to upgrade their traffic management than their network to maintain their service levels.
Standard User anon123456
(member) Thu 17-Nov-11 16:00:59
Print Post

No brainer for me since ADSL is slow in my area (middle of a city no less), about 3-4Mb tops, when a company can do FTTC for you and offer 50mbit and soon 100mbit which performes exceedingly well (for me) then there's simply no choice.

Some areas are said to be oversubscribed and so peoples speeds aren't as good but I swear i still get massive throughput from my connection, speed tests run flat out at 50mbit and large sustained downloads run at 5MB/sec at almsot all times of the day.

I could just be lucky smile
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 17-Nov-11 17:06:14
Print Post

I have their 30 mbps product and see around 30.5 mbps always

I am very happy with it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to