User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Wed 30-Nov-11 20:49:13
Print Post

What are the upload speeds of the 50MB cable product?

[link to this post]

Hello people.

I am in cabled area and I can get the 50-MB product.
I want to know what sort of upload speeds I will be getting as I am now on ADSL+ with BE and I am getting 21down and 2.1 up and 1 static IP (required).

What sort of speeds do people on the 50mb product get on Virgin?

Thank you
N
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 20:51:55
Print Post

Re: What are the upload speeds of the 50MB cable product?

[re: Netizen] [link to this post]

It's 5 Mbit upload.

John.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Wed 30-Nov-11 20:57:49
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reply.
Is the advertised or the speed that everyone gets?
What about static IP?

N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:01:17
Print Post

In theory everyone gets it. It always connects at that speed but there is a chance it might slow down if your area is busy. I've never noticed any speed issues though.

IP is not static as far as I know. It used to very sticky (i.e. hardly ever changed) but I don't know if that is still true.

John.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:52:26
Print Post

What about traffic management?
I read their below paragraph I am not sure what they actually do on the upload speed:

>>
Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high.

>>

I am a voip user and I would like to have the full 5MB of upload available to me on a constant basis (all hours). Will this be perceived as "particularly high"? What do you think?
I do not use P2P filesharing at all but chances are that I will be using the full uplink most of time. Something like a contant voip upstream.

N
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 22:13:02
Print Post

The peak time is 3pm to 8pm and during that time you can upload 6 GB before traffic management kicks in. At other times it is unlimited. So no a constant VOIP stream will not be considered anything close to high usage. smile

John.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Wed 30-Nov-11 23:10:51
Print Post

Correct me if I am wrong in my calculations please:

> 1.024 Mbps link can push 460.8 MBs per hour

> 460.8 x 5 Mbits = 2304MBs = 2.3GBs per hour
> 2.3GBs x 5 hours = 11.5 GBs pushed in 5 hours.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above did not calculate overheads....

Am I wrong?
Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 01-Dec-11 06:20:50
Print Post

Well yes if you use the whole 5 Mbit for the whole 5 hours you will easily exceed the limit. The limit is there to stop people doing that! But VOIP only uses a fraction of that.

John.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Thu 01-Dec-11 08:00:14
Print Post

Hi.

Yes, maybe I didn't phrase it correctly when I wrote "I would like to have the full 5MB of upload available to me on a constant basis (all hours)".

Anyway, yes this is what I mean and I obvisouly don't expect the link to be used by just one simple voip conversation. I just didn't want to get into too much details and techie jargon as this might have put off several people from answering.
If you want to run several audio/video streams from voip video phones, plus some other things then the 6GB over 5 hours are simply not enough. My intention is to avoid rather to create problems and this is why I am asking in the forums in advance.
I was trying to find answers in their website on business-level products but they don't seem to have anything on there..

One possible alternative solution would be to get more lines form BE and get them bonded but this would make it a very expensive one...
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Dec-11 08:56:33
Print Post

If you want guaranteed 5Mbps upload at all times, expect to be paying hundreds a month for a suitable service.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Thu 01-Dec-11 10:14:44
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
If you want guaranteed 5Mbps upload at all times, expect to be paying hundreds a month for a suitable service.

I dissagree.
Hundreds per month are for services with strict SLAs. This isn't what is required here.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Dec-11 10:51:18
Print Post

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/products__solut...

Unfortunately one thing than cable doesn't have plenty of is upstream. You may be better off looking at an SDSL solution if it's available from your phone exchange.

100Mbps is not mentioned in the traffic management charts so may be unmanaged - you'd need to ask. It has 10Mbps upstream. As the local upstream pipe is only 18Mbps shared you'd see congestion though (as would the 100 or so other poor devils on your local upstream channel)

Edited by kwikbreaks (Thu 01-Dec-11 11:00:30)

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Dec-11 10:56:07
Print Post

What is a guaranteed 5MBps upload if not a form of SLA?
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Thu 01-Dec-11 12:43:22
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
What is a guaranteed 5MBps upload if not a form of SLA?

Very true but somehow irrelevant.
Guaranteed speed link (of 5Mbit) is not the same as un-capped 5Mbit link, which what I'm after.

For example now, my 2.1 upload is not guaranteed but is surely uncapped.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 13:12:35
Print Post

Different providers different ideas on how to avoid peak time congestion, so its take your pick really.

The technology Virgin uses tends to suffer from upstream congestion more than the ADSL providers, thus they control it more usually.

Would an uncapped service, where it swings around from 0.5Meg to 2Meg to 5Meg and back again in the period of an hour be fine?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Fri 02-Dec-11 10:54:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Different providers different ideas on how to avoid peak time congestion, so its take your pick really.

The technology Virgin uses tends to suffer from upstream congestion more than the ADSL providers, thus they control it more usually.

Would an uncapped service, where it swings around from 0.5Meg to 2Meg to 5Meg and back again in the period of an hour be fine?

Does it swing that much? Do you say this out of experience or you just describe the potential of a non-guaranteed link speed?
I thought that cable would be more stable than ADSL at least because of the fibre.
I don't have any experience with cable internet. Always had ADSL since the very early days.

Is this the case with Virgin then?

Tks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Dec-11 13:06:24
Print Post

Stable yes, but throughput is another factor.

The links from the node are fibre, it is coax to the building.

DOCSIS 3.0 gives the majority of its capacity to downstream, and upstream is often the more congested part of the virgin services.

Can't give exact values, that is down to actual users to report. I am trying to say, do not expect constant 5Mbps upload in the areas where the uplift from 1.5Meg is complete, as you are competing with others for a limited resource.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Fri 02-Dec-11 18:32:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Stable yes, but throughput is another factor.

The links from the node are fibre, it is coax to the building.

DOCSIS 3.0 gives the majority of its capacity to downstream, and upstream is often the more congested part of the virgin services.

Can't give exact values, that is down to actual users to report. I am trying to say, do not expect constant 5Mbps upload in the areas where the uplift from 1.5Meg is complete, as you are competing with others for a limited resource.

Understood.
Any ideas what is the contention ratio for the residential 50 XXL Package?
The online chat with their agent wasn't very fruitful... She didn't know what the term stands for...

By the way what are the maximum up/down speeds that the coax can provide in general?
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Dec-11 21:34:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Netizen:
By the way what are the maximum up/down speeds that the coax can provide in general?

For DOCSIS3
Each downstream channel can carry 50Mbps. Each upstream channel can carry 18Mbps. Currently VM bond 4 downstreams in most areas although some have 5. Upstream is currently unbonded. So a trypical local area will have 200down 18up and serve 100-200 modems. IMO this is realistically capable of supporting 10-20Mbps down 1-2Mbps up but VM sell 100down 10up on that infrastructure.

There are plans to bond 8 downstreams and 2 upstreams (so 400/36) I expect when that is done VM will be selling 200/20 and also hope that I'll have been able to move on to a FTTC product.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Dec-11 07:02:09
Print Post

its a lottery.

Some VM areas have hardly any customers and are still given decent capacity, eg. kirby muxloe has 7 downstream channels and 3 upstreams with a fraction of the customers on my port. Whilst my port has 2 upstreams and 4 downstreams. VM has just admitted my area is very high utilised which on their measurements is probably aorund the 95-100% mark and I will probably get some relief in about 6 months time. To take me back to where I am now as there will be 6 months of growth until then wink I also have evident upstream congestion but VM have still yet to admit its too high.

In terms of throughput I expect in most cases people will get close to their max upload speeds, the more apparent issues are dodgy latency and jitter and download speeds.
Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Dec-11 08:07:21
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Could you tell me how to check the capacity on a particular VM port or area, when anticipating a move to an area where Virgin cable is available in the road but not connected to the house in question.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Dec-11 08:52:49
Print Post

[re: s_h] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by s_h:
Could you tell me how to check the capacity on a particular VM port or area, when anticipating a move to an area where Virgin cable is available in the road but not connected to the house in question.

the only way really is to check what neighbours get but even thats not a 100% way as eg. my neighbour a few doors away is on a much lighter loaded port as it seems VM have 2 ports been routed from my cabinet. Apparently that situation is rare tho.

If the area has students then that is a bad sign.
Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Dec-11 11:16:46
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I'm not clear where knowing the number of upstreams and downstreams on a port comes from.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Dec-11 13:11:20
Print Post

[re: s_h] [link to this post]

you wont know that until you connected, its in the modem status pages.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to