User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DStanley
(newbie) Thu 01-Dec-11 17:31:02
Print Post

Problem with Ping Monitor

[link to this post]

Hi all,

First off, I'm not sure if this is in the correct area but I couldn't see anywhere that might be more suited to my problem. As I have a Virgin Media cable connection I figured here would be as good a place as any smile

Recently I've been having all kinds of problems with my internet and I stumbled accross the Ping Monitor tool offered by Think Broadband. It auto-detected the routers IP address and went on it's merry way. I had it running for just over a week and it showed that my ping times are all over the place but are generally really high between the hours of around 8am to midnight everyday.

Other ping tests I have performed using pingtest.net showed my ping to be anywhere between 150ms to over 1000ms.

Virgin Media sent out a man yesterday to check out our install and he left us with a new modem/router combined box. When I got home from work I set up the ping monitor again but since then it is showing 100% packet loss permanently.

I know this cannot be the case as I am using the internet without a problem. Ping tests from pingtest.net show that the ping is currently around 30-70ms with a packet loss rate of 0-3%

The IP address that the Ping Monitor auto-detected matches the WAN IP Address I see when I log in to my router.

I have deleted that monitor and started a new one but it appear to be doing the same:

My Broadband Ping

I set this one up exactly as I did the first one and I can't work out why it no longer works.

Any ideas?
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Dec-11 18:15:14
Print Post

Re: Problem with Ping Monitor

[re: DStanley] [link to this post]

VM IPs are not static and may change from time to time but the TBB monitor has no mechanism to track that which is why it stopped working first time around. Your new router hasn't been set up to respond to pings from the WAN (internet) - have a dig in the interface to find where you set that up as it varies from router to router.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Thu 01-Dec-11 18:18:00)

Standard User DStanley
(newbie) Thu 01-Dec-11 18:42:27
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I've just found a tick box for "Respond to ping on WAN port" in the DMZ Host configuration page. Hopefully it will work now.

The change in IP address is why I set up a new monitor and ensured that the IP address in the new router matches the IP the new monitor auto-detected smile

Thanks again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Dec-11 10:37:41
Print Post

[re: DStanley] [link to this post]

It's running now and it looks like your area is even more massively oversubscribed than mine frown
  Print Thread

Jump to