User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Stevenrw
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 23:13:27
Print Post

Virgin Media Bundles

[link to this post]

I was browsing the current Virgin Media deals on Phone/TV/Cable BB Bundles and they do look pretty good.
Until you look at their bundled phone call charges that is.
If you are on a Talk Weekend or Evening and Weekend phone with your bundle and make a local landline direct dialled call on a weekday (ie outside of your included free calls) you will pay...
14.9p connection fee per call THEN
9.94 p per min.
Am I missing something fundamental here? How can a landline dialled local call be dearer than a mobile? Even their own 8p SIM calls are only 8p pm!
Are VM using high (Very High) phone charges to claw back savings on their TV and BB?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Mar-12 09:16:40
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Bundles

[re: Stevenrw] [link to this post]

Bingo

Just like other providers who if your call is 59 minutes long it is free, if 63 minutes long they charge you for all 63 minutes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Mar-12 10:13:25
Print Post

[re: Stevenrw] [link to this post]

VM phone charges are not in the least competitive.

You will probably need to take the line to get a free install and other introductory offers plus you should always sign up through topcashback or quidco as there is always at least £50 or more up for grabs (I got £125 through simplifydigital). Once your minimum contract is done cancel the phone line - sadly the loss of discounts means you'll only see a bill reduction of ~ £3.

If you actually use your landline to any extent consider doing what I did and use Vonage VOIP at £5.99. (signup through a cashback site and their equipment is effectively free)

In my case I saved ~ £3 from dropping the phone line and £1.50 iirc on VM's charged caller id so free 24x7 geographic calls (not limited to 60 minutes) + caller id + some other features such as blocking calls with no callerid cost me ~ £1.50. 0844/5 0870 calls are not extortionate either.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenrw
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 16:35:34
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Some interesting options there kwickbreaks - thanks for taking the time.
It just goes to show - if it looks too good to be true then it probably is.
I have to admit, I'm currently with IDNet for phone and ADSL2+ BB and it would have to be a pretty stonking deal for me to leave them. I'm just frustrated that BT is jerking us around with comissioning my local cabinet for FTTC, but given the amount of negatives I'm hearing about VM's service, plus the amount of positives I can vouch for with IDNet, I've decided I'm staying put and will wait (impatiently) until BT finally get off the pot and comissions my cabinet.
For the record, I have IDNet's Anytime Lite phone deal bundled with their ADSL2+ which suits my usage and in comparison it is none too shabby, especially if you pay for a year.
http://www.idnet.net/solutions/home/phone/
  Print Thread

Jump to