User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 16:30:44
Print Post

But just as a thought..

[link to this post]

People (me included) say that " the network worked fine when TeleWest had it" and it did but maybe it lost so much money it had to be bought?

Today clearly there is no TM on 100mbps as I have done 40GB in 3 hours and still going faster than I should be if there was - it's not bad when you do hit the TM I am just worrying because I know of a guy who got a call from VM because he hit it 5 times in a week.

on 100 it's possible to hit it twice a day - I guess the worse they could do would be to throw us off!
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-12 21:19:03
Print Post

Re: But just as a thought..

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
People (me included) say that " the network worked fine when TeleWest had it" and it did but maybe it lost so much money it had to be bought?

It kinda did however Telewest frigged the network like crazy to avoid spending significant amounts of money on it. They were just about out of room to frig it anymore when ntl bought them.

If you noted which areas were the most delayed for the upstream upgrades all bar one were ex-Telewest. ntl were rebuilding some of their poorer quality networks during the early / mid 2000s so in many cases they were in a position to deploy upstream uplifts quickly. They were also pushing fibre deeper into the network rather than doing configuration changes and pushing existing network harder, Telewest were doing their utmost to keep their CapEx low.

Telewest, basically, spent most of the 2000s waiting for ntl to come and get them and delayed expensive upgrades accordingly. ntl were astounded at the amount of upgrades ex-Telewest needed for 20Mb, considerably more in the field network work was required than the ex-ntl network despite being less than 2/3rds the size. ntl's network was 8.4 million homes passed, Telewest 4.9.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 22:16:53
Print Post

VM ditched the "Detrimental Use" threatening letters some months back. They had to to meet (ASA I think) rulings on what could be advertised as an "unlimited" service and threatening to cut somebody off for excessive use of their "unlimited" connection breached them.

Unfortunately removing that last ditch network proection means that there are now more and more areas which are suffering massive congestion from torrent freaks seeding 24x7 at 10Mbps up through VPNs. It also means that more and more will be ditching cable for Infinity as it rolls out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 10:34:36
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I hear you on that one. I might not be able to get anything but VM but for now it seems to be working. certainly none of the new STM in this area yet. The spoiler list didn't include us and I did 23GB yesterday in 10-4 and didn't get throttled...

with the amount of people leaving it can only get better
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 14:07:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
with the amount of people leaving it can only get better
Until they go into administration - they need a large and constant revenue stream to service the massive debt they are carrying.
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 14:24:51
Print Post

Oh well, they are digging their own grave then.
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Apr-12 17:53:19
Print Post

I can only guess then that on the 2nd of April virgin connected a lot of people in my area. It's been dire since then but fab for 2 months before.

Getting 17mbps this time of day was something I thought was alien until that illustrious day.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 22:34:23
Print Post

Mine was fine on 50Mbps for a long time and then suddenly whallop - it all went to rat's. At the time I thought I could see evidence in the TBB monitor that there were sudden onsets to very high jitter suggesting congestion.

I already knew that the local pipes were small 4x50Mbps down and 1x18Mbps up but hadn't realised just how many modems were crammed on each set of channels - 200+. As soon as I found that out it was clear as day why it had gone bad and how it could vary so much over short periods - a single 100/10Mbps unlimited customer running unrestricted seeding takes over half the available upstream so as they fire up the local network can become almost unusable. Total madness - the VM marketing wonks are obviously in charge and not the network engineers.
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Apr-12 15:24:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
- the VM marketing wonks are obviously in charge and not the network engineers.

Yup - always been the case probably always will be!

Still when you see how desperate others are to get anywhere near - even at 40-50mbps it's worth keeping I think

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 11-Apr-12 15:33:31)

Standard User leexgx
(regular) Wed 11-Apr-12 22:20:03
Print Post

but the packet loss that is the killer my next door man is currently not to happy with virgin at the moment as he cant play online games as he getting packet loss, so in game he takes 4 steps forward and he gets pushed back 2 steps unless he is dead first

i be happy with them my self if it was not for the packet loss (happy with lower speed not packet loss and that's what Openreach stuff does)

does not seem to happen to BT exchanges like the westbrook one 7mb adsl lock 1.5mb max download speed with no packet loss (around 5pm) not 21cn, overloaded,

hopefully there FTTC does the same lower the speed not packet loss

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to