User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Dibble
(regular) Wed 25-Apr-12 09:49:50
Print Post

Network outage F001975082

[link to this post]

Looks like this started last night and has a fix time of 13:00 today. Very light on detail though, can't even tell who is affected -I'm in Warwickshire if that helps anyone .

This is my first outage since joining last month, how accurate do the fix times tend to be? I work from home so I'm hamstrung right now and could do without days offline!
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-12 09:58:11
Print Post

Re: Network outage F001975082

[re: Dibble] [link to this post]

In that case get an ADSL backup.

You may find you get more outages on cable than you would on ADSL as all the active ADSL hardware is in an exchange while just about every VM cabinet on the street has at the very least an amplifier inside it so the network is arguably more vulnerable. There is a national upgrade in progress for the speed doubling which I would expect to cause some short term outages.

I've had no long outages on cable but have found lots of short disconnects which I never had on ADSL. I'm not certain of the cause but suspect it's caused by installers putting in new connections.
Standard User griff16
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 19:25:54
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I'm in Leamington Spa and have had no connectivity since 5am this morning. I also work from home and have been using a 3g dongle today - just about adequate.

When I phoned Virgin this morning they said it was due to the speed increase and would be complete by 10am. I doubted this as my area is not due for the increase until July.

I have phoned throughout the day and quite a few CVn postcodes have been down. Last spoke to someone about 30 mins ago and they are just saying it's an unplanned outage and they have no more details apart from 'it normally is fixed in 24 hours'.

First outage I've had in 9 months which isn't bad, but the status updates when things go wrong are worse than useless.

I'd definitely get a backup method if I were you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dibble
(regular) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:55:50
Print Post

[re: griff16] [link to this post]

I suspect we may be very close to each other wink

The last update I managed to drag out of the support guy is that it's a localised cable fault in Leamington but may be 24 - 48 hours before a fix. Yikes.

I'm on 3G now too, fortunately hsdpa is available here so it's not too painful - unless my provider starts to notice my tethering...
Standard User griff16
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 23:08:28
Print Post

Yeah - I'm on virgin 3g dongle currently and the speed is only 0.5-0.7 download. Off to the 3 shop on Friday to get a better dongle. I can't be without a decent connection.

48 hours for a fix isn't good.
Standard User Dibble
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-12 10:48:59
Print Post

Still down this morning. The service status page doesn't have anything to reflect the fault so I'm not filled with confidence that the issue is even being worked on. The helpdesk just do their best to fob me off for as long as possible - presumably so they don't have to deal with it and can get on to the next call to meet their stats.

I only moved to Virgin a month ago, as Ron Burgundy said - "I instantly regret this decision".
Standard User griff16
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 10:56:17
Print Post

Yes - I was on the phone for 40 minutes this morning before work to get an update. All I got was 'reset your superhub etc etc' or 'I'll arrange for an engineer to call'. Useless. They have no information or timescales for a fix.

Calling the support line is absolutely no use. I've posted the issue on the Virginmedia community website - sometimes that gets better updates from Virgin staff...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broa...
Standard User Dibble
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-12 12:15:55
Print Post

Nice one. I've posted in the 100M forum too. here

Going to start hitting twitter and facebook next.

By the way, there is a service status phone number 0800 5610061 which does at least admit to an issue - but just says it will be fixed "asap".
Standard User banger9365
(member) Thu 26-Apr-12 12:51:36
Print Post

wf2 was out last night too from about 1 am to about 6 am
Standard User Dibble
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-12 14:47:24
Print Post

Not at home right now but I'm told the fault may have been cleared.

Fingers crossed. I did sent in a snotty complaint email about an hour ago - more to do with the communication of the progress of the fault (which is still valid even if this is now fixed).
  Print Thread

Jump to