User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User amason
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 20:46:15
Print Post

Virgin Superhub

[link to this post]

Hello

Do I need the Virgin Superhub to get my speed increase? Virgin say I do!

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Apr-12 20:56:59
Print Post

Re: Virgin Superhub

[re: amason] [link to this post]

If you have one of the old modems from before the DOCSIS 3 roll-outs then yes need to upgrade

The superhub does have a modem only mode if you wish

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User amason
(newbie) Fri 27-Apr-12 21:02:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks

When were the DOCSIS 3 roll outs. Sorry just a basic computer user here. I think my modem and router are no more than two years old.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-12 23:11:10
Print Post

[re: amason] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by amason:
Thanks

When were the DOCSIS 3 roll outs. Sorry just a basic computer user here. I think my modem and router are no more than two years old.

I always thought it was when they launched 50mbps.. I might be wrong.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Sat 28-Apr-12 00:43:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Not everyone knows what DOCSIS 3 is, or how it affects the modem installed and the increases. Although I'm pretty savvy on tech issues, I didn't have a clue myself on this one.

I raised the same question on the VM Forums, one of the support staff have just replied to say they are sending me a Superhub, free of charge, to answer.

I'm told that my old modem, a Ubee EDM2500 model, will support up to 20Mb but as and when 30Mb comes in I would need the Superhub.

For now, the speed increase I will get is from 10Mb to 20Mb. There is a rumour that this will go to 30Mb to be in line with the recent 'Collections' launch, where 30Mb is the lowest on offer now. Nobody at VM can confirm that the current round of 'double speed' will give me any more than the 20Mb previously advised.

Which makes me wonder why they are sending me a Superhub...?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Apr-12 16:02:35
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
Not everyone knows what DOCSIS 3 is, or how it affects the modem installed and the increases. Although I'm pretty savvy on tech issues, I didn't have a clue myself on this one.

I raised the same question on the VM Forums, one of the support staff have just replied to say they are sending me a Superhub, free of charge, to answer.

I'm told that my old modem, a Ubee EDM2500 model, will support up to 20Mb but as and when 30Mb comes in I would need the Superhub.

For now, the speed increase I will get is from 10Mb to 20Mb. There is a rumour that this will go to 30Mb to be in line with the recent 'Collections' launch, where 30Mb is the lowest on offer now. Nobody at VM can confirm that the current round of 'double speed' will give me any more than the 20Mb previously advised.

maybe you will be put on 30 and then you need one?

They cant put customers on 20 if they give new customers 30 that's not fair.. is it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Apr-12 17:52:05
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Depends on what you pay, and what terms they want existing customers to agree to get the 30Meg

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Apr-12 17:53:26
Print Post

Correct, but they still gave out the older modems to people signing up to the slower services for some time.

So the easy way to tell is to say which cable modem you have, and they people will figure it out.

Standard User ess1
(regular) Tue 01-May-12 09:43:49
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
>snip.

Probably one of the four I had changed lol
Standard User TMCR
(member) Tue 01-May-12 10:48:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
They cant put customers on 20 if they give new customers 30 that's not fair.. is it?

They can, if that is all they are contracted for. The announcements made were that they would double the speed, so 10 would go to 20. That's all they have to give under those terms. New customers would get 30 as that's what is advertised for them.
I'm on a TV package that no longer exists as far as new connections go, but they are not swapping me to the lowest advertised package just because it's there.
It is hinted that everyone will eventually go to 30 as a minimum, if only to make life simpler for engineers, but I don't expect to see 30 when I connect the superhub - which is due between 1200 and 2000 today, according to the text I just had.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to