User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-12 14:39:37
Print Post

Is my hub faulty?

[link to this post]

Just turned it on and flicked to the status page to see who had connected

My hub says

This area will display a summary of activity since you last reset your Super Hub.

Measurement Period: 0days 0h:0m:43s
Data Downloaded: 4GB 0Bytes
Data Uploaded: 15MB

wow I have the fastest connection in the world!

But it's stuck at 4GB now even after a hard reset - i know it's not a major thing but like others I use this to make sure I stay within the limits.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 15:13:17
Print Post

Re: Is my hub faulty?

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

The data volumes reported by the Superhub were reported as garbage way way back. I've no idea if they ever got fixed as I ditched the hub before they fixed the WiFi driver memory leak which keeled the wretched thing over regularly.

If you want reliable data volume measurement use the Superhub in modem mode alongside a proper router which will do that sort of thing because the Superhub simply isn't fit for purpose doing anything beyond the simplest routing tasks and probably not even those.
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-12 15:57:11
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

ah okay fair enough.

I've just found the only Dlink 615 thing that we were given on 50, will that work next to the ShittyHub? as the wireless bit?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 17:00:06
Print Post

It will work with the Pooperhub in modem mode. The switch on it is only 100Mbps though so it will not handle the full 110Mbps you should see from the VM 100MBps product. Figure at least £50 for any cable router with a Gbps switch and more for a good one with decent Wifi. If you had a slower product than 100Mbps it would have been OK as a DHCP server and internet gateway in conjunction with a gigabit switch for internal network transfers - I use an old Buffalo router with Tomato firmware and a couple of gigabit switches but I'm only on 10Mbps now as most of the time that's all VM could deliver a few months back. It may or may not be better now but I'm just waiting for Infinity and won't upgrade.

TP-Link do cheap and cheerful ones which I've seen good reports on - they are probably the best budget brand. One of my gigabit switches is a TP-Link and it has worked well but of course routers are more complex than switches.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Mon 30-Apr-12 20:02:02)

(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-12 17:04:08
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I tried to downgrade but I was told it would cost me more to go to 60mbps that I would pay for 100mbps. In fact they wanted £38 for 60! frown
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:04:50
Print Post

Yeah they run the company like a car boot and it's all haggling to get a deal. The only people worth talking to are retentions but as you are a new customer and probably just outside your "satisfaction guarantee" period they've got you by the short and curlies and don't need to do anything at all to keep your business (or at least to keep your hard earned).
  Print Thread

Jump to