User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ldavey
(regular) Sat 05-May-12 13:35:01
Print Post

Speed upgraded to 60mb but upload still only 3mb ?

[link to this post]

Hi,

My speed has been doubled to 60mb (was 30) but my upload is still 3mb, is this right?

This would mess up the 10:1 rule I thought virgin use. Surely they should upgrade the upload as well to make sure all get the same deal.

- NTL CUSTOMER SINCE MAY 2006 -
(previously Nildram customer twice and Eclipse)
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 13:54:06
Print Post

Re: Speed upgraded to 60mb but upload still only 3mb ?

[re: ldavey] [link to this post]

Upstream doubling will come once your area can support it - or rather when VM deem it can support it as the chances are upstream doubling will cause big problems imo because the local networks are incapable of supporting higher speed and quantity of upload without considerably more work than VM are likely to do.
Standard User ldavey
(member) Sun 13-May-12 22:21:49
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for feedback and apologies I not checked back sooner.

I'm not too bothered about the upload, do not really need it but thought maybe I was being ripped off lol.

Like to get what I am paying for whever I need it or not.

Thanks

Edited by ldavey (Sun 13-May-12 22:22:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Roman5
(member) Sat 26-May-12 14:52:19
Print Post

[re: ldavey] [link to this post]

You're not alone ldavey with mild frustration. I got changed to 60mb yesterday from 10mb down, 1mb up, and was also surprised by my 2.9mbps upload and not 6mbps. But yeah, I was told the same thing by someone. He called it channel bonding. He said this:

"Channel bonding is where they use multiple upstream or downstream channels to allow faster speeds.Your hub at the moment will most likely have 4 or 5 downstream channels and 1 upstream. When the bonding is complete you will have I think 4 upstream channels. They are in the process of upgrading the equipment. I got an email regarding it the other day and I'm sure it said it was coming at the end of the month but not sure. Also because it is a nationwide upgrade it could be done 1 area at a time so I wouldn't hold your breath for it happening anytime soon, lets say quarter 4 of the year. If it happens before then its a bonus i guess"
  Print Thread

Jump to