User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User buffyangel108
(newbie) Thu 24-May-12 19:43:20
Print Post

Best way to upgrade from 10mb to 60mb?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current 'L' broadband package (10mb) to a 60mb service and would appreciate any advice on the best way to proceed. smile

I've been with VM for about 5 years and am currently paying £27.50/mth for 10mb (!). From the VM website, I understand the current price for 60mb (after the introductory 3 month offer) is £27.50/mth, so I'm hoping my upgrade from 10mb to 60mb will not result in any increase to my monthly bill. First question, is that likely? wink

To complicate matters a little, my area is due to be upgraded for free (i.e. from 10mb to 20mb) "from July onwards". Would I be better off waiting for the free upgrade to 20mb, then calling to upgrade to 60mb? Would it make any difference if I ordered now instead? Also, is "from July onwards" likely to mean July/August or could it be significantly after that (e.g. 2013)?

Finally, I believe I'll need a Super Hub to take advantage of 60mb speed (I currently have the small black modem). Can this be self-installed or would it require an engineer visit? I'm fairly tech-literate (and am out of the house at work for most of the day!) so would prefer the self-install if possible - is that an option?

Sorry for the long-winded post! Any advice (on any of the questions) would be much appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-May-12 22:49:46
Print Post

Re: Best way to upgrade from 10mb to 60mb?

[re: buffyangel108] [link to this post]

The new faster services are best done with an engineer visit so they can check the power levels etc, i..e that the modem will work without drop outs.

As for pricing, only way to know is talk to them and see what the case is. The price now might be different in a month, higher or lower who knows.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-May-12 08:32:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yup although they never get it right and usually another one is required a few weeks later to sort it out.

and again

and again

it's rubbish

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 27-May-12 13:31:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks lads for the advice. Just sorted an upgrade to 60mb on favourable terms, well pleased.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-May-12 15:58:38
Print Post

Hopefully you'll still be pleased after it's in place - once you have a Superhub there is no way back and they are the most bug ridden poorly featured routers known to man. As you can't just go out and buy a decent cable modem the usual fix is to put the thing in modem mode and buy a decent router.
Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-12 22:19:13
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

My superhub works great!
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-May-12 19:19:07
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

In that case you don't put any stress on it and presumably don't use wifi apart from with phones.
(newbie) Thu 31-May-12 20:02:19
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Yep, that's the plan. Have an el-cheapo (but el-reliablo) T-Link Wireless N router I plan to use with the Superhub in modem mode.
Standard User block860
(newbie) Thu 31-May-12 20:07:51
Print Post

if he stayed with the 10mb package would he stay on docsis1? i hear thats better for gaming.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-May-12 20:18:39
Print Post

TP-Link kit may be cheap but I've only ever seen good reports about it. I have a cheap TP-Link dumb gigabit switch which has been working well for me for several years now. The slightly dearer TP-Link routers that support 300Mbps N are supposed to be good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to