User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Sun 24-Jun-12 12:05:02
Print Post

Cable line upgrade - changing "super"-hub to modem mode only

[link to this post]

I've just had the line upgrade from 10 Mbps to 20 Mbps, and been told that my much-loved Scientific Atlanta Webstar cable modem won't support 20 Mbps properly. The bribe to get the Super Hub is that the upgrade will be to 30 Mbps! However I would want to use this in modem-only mode because I have a perfectly adequate Billion 7800N router.

I've found what passes for a User Manual for the Super Hub on the web "Installing your Virgin Media Super Hub", but I could find nothing about putting it into modem-only mode.

Is there a better/more techie manual anywhere that people could recommend? And has the latest firmware fixed the all modem-mode bugs?

It seems that it will take ten days to deliver the Super Hub, and they expect the hapless customer to stay at home all day just to sign for it when it is delivered. Thanks a bunch, VM.
Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Sun 24-Jun-12 12:12:29
Print Post

Re: Cable line upgrade - changing "super"-hub to modem mode

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.contr...

I've been using it on modem only mode for 8 months - no bugs that I am aware of.

Edited by drummerjohn (Sun 24-Jun-12 12:12:59)

Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Sun 24-Jun-12 12:23:18
Print Post

[re: drummerjohn] [link to this post]

Thanks very much! Just what I wanted...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Tue 26-Jun-12 00:22:21
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

I read quite a few horror stories about the superhub, long before I had any idea I would get one as part of the speed upgrade.

With the old modem I had a separate Belkin router, which I bought myself. It was all set up for the laptops and phones we use, so it was a no brainer for me to set the modem-only mode and put the Belkin back in circuit. No messing about changing everything.

Thankfully, no real problems since changeover, apart from the superhub somehow thinking it's had a reset of some sort from time to time, and going back to the default password.

Note that accessing the hub in modem only mode is a different address, 192.168.100.1 - I missed that and was in a panic at first.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User JohnGray7581
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 14:44:13
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
Note that accessing the hub in modem only mode is a different address, 192.168.100.1 - I missed that and was in a panic at first.
Yes - fortunately I caught this little amusement from the document linked to in the second post!
  Print Thread

Jump to