User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andylong42
(learned) Mon 25-Jun-12 16:11:49
Print Post

100Mb Virgin from BT Infinity. Is this a good idea?

[link to this post]

I have just placed an order to move from BT Infinity to 100MB Virgin. I currently get about 24down/6up on BT so hoping for an improvement all round on Virgin.

I do very little in the way of downloads, but I stream a lot (iPlayer, Sky Go, Apple TV) and currently use about 70GB a month (up and down total)

I guess I am just hoping someone will tell me everything will be ok, but is there anything I should be aware of before making the switch?
Standard User andylong42
(learned) Mon 25-Jun-12 17:02:49
Print Post

Re: 100Mb Virgin from BT Infinity. Is this a good idea?

[re: andylong42] [link to this post]

Also, will I actually get 120MB now rather than 100MB? My postcode shows as being doubled in april/may.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Mon 25-Jun-12 18:38:34
Print Post

VM broadband is pretty much a post code lottery. In some areas it's brilliant, in others it's appalling. It all depends whether the local network is overloaded or not. Your best bet is to ask your neighbours. If possible get them to run a couple of speed tests during peak hours. If it's close to max you should be okay.

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Jun-12 08:30:39
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Asking neighbours is all very well but even if they are knowledgeable enough to give a proper appraisal cable can go from great to dire in a matter of days - mine did - it's the selling of high speed products on local pipes that serve hundreds of users but with a capacity of barely double the speed of the high end products that leads to problems. It will support quite a few 100Mbps customers who want it only for willy waving rights but very very few who actually use it as the unlimited product VM are selling it as.

My advice - forget the headline speed and stick with Infinity. VM can lose business to ADSL - ask yourself how that can be,
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 17:49:49
Print Post

As a new VM customer, you have a 28 day, money-back guarantee if you aren't satisfied. (Existing customers upgrading their package only get 7 days!)

So if you find the high peak time jitter and packet loss to be unacceptable you can dump VM's headline-catching peak speed deal without any financial loss.
  Print Thread

Jump to