User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 14:17:27
Print Post

Expected Super Hub power and SNR values?

[link to this post]

I'd be grateful if someone could comment on these figures, obtained from this morning's cable modem Super Hub installation (modem mode).

DOWNSTREAM
I appear to have got 4 channels
IDs: 5, 6, 7, 8 (not in that order!)
Power: 5.5, 5.0, 4.7, 4.2 dBmV, respectively
SNR: 42.5, 42.5, 41.9, 41.3 dB, respectively

UPSTREAM
ID: 18
Power: 31.8 dBmV

Currently I haven't observed any speed change from the Scientific Atlanta WebStar, at 20 Mbps / 1.1 Mbps. Does anyone know how long it takes for the upgrade to 30 Mbps / 3 Mbps ?

Finally, quite some time ago a VM engineer put a 10dB attenuator on the coax patch cable just before the cable modem. I've now taken it off. How might it affect the figures above if I replace it, and should I do this?

Thanks!
Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 14:42:06
Print Post

Re: Expected Super Hub power and SNR values?

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
I'd be grateful if someone could comment on these figures, obtained from this morning's cable modem Super Hub installation (modem mode).

DOWNSTREAM
I appear to have got 4 channels
IDs: 5, 6, 7, 8 (not in that order!)
Power: 5.5, 5.0, 4.7, 4.2 dBmV, respectively
SNR: 42.5, 42.5, 41.9, 41.3 dB, respectively

UPSTREAM
ID: 18
Power: 31.8 dBmV

Currently I haven't observed any speed change from the Scientific Atlanta WebStar, at 20 Mbps / 1.1 Mbps. Does anyone know how long it takes for the upgrade to 30 Mbps / 3 Mbps ?

Finally, quite some time ago a VM engineer put a 10dB attenuator on the coax patch cable just before the cable modem. I've now taken it off. How might it affect the figures above if I replace it, and should I do this?

Thanks!

Your downstream figures look fine (good really). I would leave the attenuator off.

The upstream is quite low but that may not be a problem if it is steady. Refresh the page a few times and collect about ten readings taken every 10 seconds.

Try a ping to one of your DNS servers. Use the -n 100 option and then check the summary for min / max and any packet loss.

The 'Connection' page on the SHub also provides information about the downstream and upstream rates. The 'Max Traffic Rate' gives the rates configured.

Is your speed increase to 30Mb/s as part of a paid for upgrade or the free national doubling. If part of the doubling I think you may have to request it from CS.

Also the upstream won't go to 2Mb/s or 3Mb/s yet as VM are waiting until upstream channel bonding is implemented so as to ensure capacity is available.
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 14:59:08
Print Post

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

Thanks for that rapid response!

I've done a lot of refreshing, and although the downstream power and SNR values change marginally, the upstream power seems solid at 31.5 dBmV.

PINGing 8.8.8.8 gives me times between about 30ms and 40 ms, average 35ms, with maximum 55ms, and no packet loss. I would point out that from my PC the DNS server is my router at 192.168.0.254!

The traffic rates match roughly what I am experiencing, at 21480000 bps / 1180000 bps.

Three weeks ago I was on 10 Mbps, then the download speed was doubled to about 20 Mbps.
I can't find the documentation at the moment, but I seem to remember that the bribe for obtaining a Super Hub was another upgrade to 30 Mbps.

I take your point about the delay in the upstream upgrade!

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 15:02:20
Print Post

I've found the VM email I referred to:

"We’ve got some great news for you. Your broadband speed has been doubled to up to 20Mb. So things should be even faster when you’re online.

Get faster wireless and a boost up to 30Mb.
There's one last thing you'll need to make the most of your new speed, something special - the Virgin Media Super Hub. Your current modem can't quite keep up with the new speed we've given you. But the Super Hub could give you our fastest-ever wireless connection, which means that everyone can get online around the home. We can also give you an extra boost up to 30Mb shortly after you activate your Super Hub - at no extra cost.
"
Standard User Eeeps
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 15:09:50
Print Post

I've done a lot of refreshing, and although the downstream power and SNR values change marginally, the upstream power seems solid at 31.5 dBmV.

That sounds fine.

PINGing 8.8.8.8 gives me times between about 30ms and 40 ms, average 35ms, with maximum 55ms, and no packet loss. I would point out that from my PC the DNS server is my router at 192.168.0.254!

Try a tracert to both 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 and then ping the one that has less hops on the tracert (i.e. the closest one)

The traffic rates match roughly what I am experiencing, at 21480000 bps / 1180000 bps.

Three weeks ago I was on 10 Mbps, then the download speed was doubled to about 20 Mbps.
I can't find the documentation at the moment, but I seem to remember that the bribe for obtaining a Super Hub was another upgrade to 30 Mbps.

I think you may need to call CS to get the upgrade to 30Mb/s
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 15:36:04
Print Post

[re: Eeeps] [link to this post]

TRACERT 194.168.4.100 give 6 hops and PINGing gives Min 9ms, Max 21ms, Avg 12ms
TRACERT 194.168.8.100 give 9 hops and PINGing gives Min 21ms, Max 37ms, Avg 24ms

Looks like I should move off Google DNS back to VM DNS!

I will see what the speed are when I return from hols, and give VM CS a call if there's no increase to 30 Mbps.

Thanks yet again.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 05-Jul-12 17:01:51
Print Post

Do you actually have any issue with your service? If you don't that'd suggest that everything's fine.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Thu 05-Jul-12 17:37:14
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I think the "issue" is the Superhub was installed as part of an upgrade to 30Mb/s which hasn't happened.
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 18:39:35
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Do you actually have any issue with your service? If you don't that'd suggest that everything's fine.
Yes, there were two issues:
* were the power and SNR values as seen by the newly-installed Super Hub within the expected range, and did I need to re-insert the 10dB attenuator?
* and when was the further upgrade to 30 Mbps down likely to take place?

I had hoped that my original post made this clear!

Edited by John_Gray (Thu 05-Jul-12 18:39:53)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jul-12 02:09:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Yes, there were two issues:
* were the power and SNR values as seen by the newly-installed Super Hub within the expected range, and did I need to re-insert the 10dB attenuator?
* and when was the further upgrade to 30 Mbps down likely to take place?

I had hoped that my original post made this clear!

You didn't actually mention any performance issues though, hence my asking whether there were any actual issues.

if it's not broken best leave the attenuator off.

As far as the uplift to 30Mb goes that should come along with the rest of your area whenever the web page indicates.

http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/

Until you're at the end of the predicted period there's nothing to worry about on that score, your 20Mb will become 30Mb as the 20Mb tier on Superhub is retired.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to