User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Wed 11-Jul-12 09:19:02
Print Post

SuperHub Wireless

[link to this post]

Hello All,

I have an issue with the VM SuperHub.

Every week or so, my wireless connection to my SuperHub drops out. I can reconnect to the SuperHub via wireless but cannot access the internet. Everything else connected to the hub via a wired connection continues to work fine.

I have other wireless access points in the house which ultimately connect to the SuperHub via a wired connection. If I connect via wireless to one of these access points I can access the internet ok.

The only way to get internet access back via wireless on the SuperHub, is to power cycle the thing.

Has anyone come across this issue? Perhaps the SuperHub has an intermittant fault on it?

Thanks

John
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Jul-12 10:33:28
Print Post

Re: SuperHub Wireless

[re: jw6520] [link to this post]

There have been umpteen issues with Superhubs requiring reboots. There is a new firmware in test which may well be going live within the next couple of weeks. It may or may not fix your issue. I doubt that a replacement SH would perform any differently. If it remains a problem sufficiently annoying for you to consider spending some money on it then buying a halfway decent router and putting the SH in modem mode is the way forward.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 23-Jul-12 12:43:40
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I read so many bad reports of the Superhub, before I had one, that I decided to retain my own router and use the thing on Modem only mode - it seems that was the right decision to take as the problems are still there.

Not only have I saved myself hours of heartache, but I didn't have to change anything on laptops, mobile phones, KIndle or whatever - they all carried on working as they always had.

As far as I'm concerned, the Superhub was just a change of modem... smile

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(member) Wed 25-Jul-12 13:56:28
Print Post

that's annoying (going back and forward removed the text i was doing)

make sure the hub is set to 150mb mode not 300mb as some devices do not like it and set channel to fixed number (1, 6 or 11) as some devices freak out when its set to auto

Standard User andylong42
(regular) Tue 31-Jul-12 13:48:20
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I have bought a cheap TP-Link AP (£25) and placed it next to the superhub (I gave up on trying to get it to work as an extender) and disabled the wireless on the superhub. I now have wireless coverage all over the house again, proving that the signal strength on the SH is pretty poor.
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Wed 01-Aug-12 15:23:43
Print Post

Wireless seems to have been fine since the Firmware update.

smile
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:35:54
Print Post

Probably the best way to minimise problems with the Super Hub is to use it purely like the cable modem you used to know and love, and put the Super Hub into Modem Mode.

Then you can append your own choice of wireless router and have it work exactly as you want it.

(I've only had my Super-Hub-in-Modem-Mode hang once in the month since I've had it, requiring a power-cycle.)
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:46:21
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

That's the thing.

Even in modem mode this thing still isn't perfect. I left VM after a few months largely down to the terrible equipment.
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Thu 02-Aug-12 11:41:27
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I think I'd prefer the 31 Mbps down, 1.9 Mbps up, that I'm getting on VM cable to the maybe 4 Mbps down, 0.5 Mbps up that I'd get on ADSL, since I'm 4 miles as the crow flies from the telephone exchange!
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 17:18:09
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
I think I'd prefer the 31 Mbps down, 1.9 Mbps up, that I'm getting on VM cable to the maybe 4 Mbps down, 0.5 Mbps up that I'd get on ADSL, since I'm 4 miles as the crow flies from the telephone exchange!

See I agree there. Luckily I had FTTC available so it was a no brainier.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to