User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikeupd
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 10:11:36
Print Post

Free speed upgrade

[link to this post]

VM are due to free upgrade my speeds 'from July' .... is there a way to get a date when this might happen?
If I paid for a speed upgrade they probably just tweak something in the street cabinet.
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Sat 21-Jul-12 13:06:21
Print Post

Re: Free speed upgrade

[re: mikeupd] [link to this post]

Check your postcode (again) using http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/
To the great annoyance of those affected, Virgin Media has postponed some previously-announced upgrade dates to the end of this year, sometimes to the middle of 2013.

No, there's no easy way to find out what day this upgrade would happen - it will just happen (or not, see above).

And more no, the upgrade is not just a "tweak to the street cabinet" - you would be changed to DOCSIS3 from DOCSIS1, and this is a major hardware change at the VM "exchange".

Edited by John_Gray (Sat 21-Jul-12 13:07:55)

Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 23-Jul-12 12:04:30
Print Post

[re: mikeupd] [link to this post]

Mine was supposed to happen in March/April, but didn't. They sent me a new Superhub, as I had queried if my old modem would suffice, seems it wasn't up to the job. I then called them, at first they said I'd been upgraded to the new speed, then they saw I hadn't been - a few clicks of a mouse at their end, reboot the modem and Roberta's yer Auntie...

It's supposed to just happen and they would force a modem reboot to enable it. Even then, I went from 10Mb/1Mb to 20Mb/1Mb, not 2Mb download, that comes later from what I hear.

There was also talk that 10Mb would go to 30Mb, as that's the lowest current offer to new customers. Nope, it was 20b as originally advised.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Mon 23-Jul-12 16:39:51
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I found I had to ring up Customer Services to get them to do the change from 20 Mbps to 30 Mbps, even though this additional upgrade was promised in the "bribe email" as a reward for ordering the Super Hub.
Now I get about 31 Mbps down and 1.9 Mbps up.
Eventually, and allegedly, when the network capacity is better sorted out the up-speed will rise to 10% of the down speed - but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by John_Gray (Mon 23-Jul-12 16:41:09)

Standard User TMCR
(member) Mon 23-Jul-12 17:57:20
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

I didn't get a bribe letter so I have never been offered 30Mb. I went on the VM forum and asked questions about the compatibility of my old modem. That was only a couple of years old as my even older one had been swapped out to try and sort out a previous issue.

Nobody has ever said that 10Mb customers would get 30Mb, apart from when they've done a deal. I just checked back on the forum, all I was offered was a Superhub. That was to allay any fears about the modem working on 20Mb. As it turned out, my old modem would have done 20Mb but would not have been DOCSIS 3 so needed to be changed.

I am about to call retentions this week over something else, a deal on my bill that has expired. I don't particularly need 30Mb so it's not a bargaining tool I would want to use. If they offer it at no extra cost then I'd go for it, if I have to take a new package then it's a 'no'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Tue 24-Jul-12 19:40:47
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Here's (some of) the text of the email to which I refer...

"We’ve got some great news for you. Your broadband speed has been doubled to up to 20Mb. So things should be even faster when you’re online.

Get faster wireless and a boost up to 30Mb.

There's one last thing you'll need to make the most of your new speed, something special - the Virgin Media Super Hub. Your current modem can't quite keep up with the new speed we've given you. But the Super Hub could give you our fastest-ever wireless connection, which means that everyone can get online around the home. We can also give you an extra boost up to 30Mb shortly after you activate your Super Hub - at no extra cost. "
  Print Thread

Jump to