User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lithurge
(regular) Thu 09-Aug-12 16:19:44
Print Post

Superhub modem mode

[link to this post]

Hopefully somebody can help.

Having used it for a few days I've decided to try switching the Superhub to modem mode and use my old router for the wireless connection. I can switch the hub to modem mode easily, and connect to my router with no problems, but it tells me there's no internet connection.

I've followed the instructions on the following help page

Superhub modem mode

Any suggestions of what I'm not doing that I should be?

My router is a Netgear WNDR3700

Thanks Nick
Standard User briansaab
(newbie) Thu 09-Aug-12 20:34:50
Print Post

Re: Superhub modem mode

[re: Lithurge] [link to this post]

Hi Nick

I too had abysmal wireless when first installed back in May. I tried Modem Mode with my old Linksys 54GS Router for a while. I then experimented by setting the Superhub SSID and security to the same as the Linksys. This enabled a quick swapout to compare performance and found these steps useful:-

Use InSSIDer to discover which channel(s) are in use nearby. Choose a channel, i.e. avoid Auto, which bridges a gap, in my case Channel 8 on 2.4Ghz band.

I then locked the speed down to 144Mbps.

R36 firmware started rolling out on 13/07/2012 see here and I installed this within the last hour. Everything went smoothly with wireless laptop, desktop, Blu-Ray Player and TV all connecting seamlessly as does my iPhone.

Brian
Standard User Lithurge
(regular) Sun 12-Aug-12 17:04:37
Print Post

[re: briansaab] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response Brian.

I've only just got the superhub as they gave me the free upgrade from 50 to 120 mb at the end of July, so have the latest firmware (what they forget to tell you on a self install is the first thing it'll do on connecting is spend 10 minutes updating itself). What I really want to do is compare the performance between the two.

Certainly having played with the various settings on the hub and tested the signal in the various rooms I need it in, I've not found it quite as strong as my old router reported, but then that may just be the current state of the weather.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lithurge
(regular) Mon 13-Aug-12 12:49:34
Print Post

[re: Lithurge] [link to this post]

Answering myself it's now sorted. Think I wasn't letting the modem finish starting up properly before powering up the router.

I now have a stable Xbox live connection and it also seems to fix an issue with downloading large files where it would seem to time out (download speed is consistently slow regardless of router, but it doesn't time out with the old one).
  Print Thread

Jump to