User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bluedot22
(newbie) Thu 20-Sep-12 10:21:13
Print Post

Can I attach a non-cable modem to VM Superhub

[link to this post]

My question:
Can I use Netgear DGND3300 dual band n, which is ADSL-, not cable-compatible, as a second device (wireless repeater/extender) connected to VM Superhub?

I want to extend wireless range for a single laptop and improve compatibility with older 802.11b devices. Or do I have to get a device (like the T-Link AP I've seen mentioned in some forums) that is cable-compatible instead? It would be great to use the Netgear model, which is not that old and was not inexpensive.

Background:
Just switched from Talk Talk to Virgin Media. Installation was fine. Initial settings meant BB was actually slower than Talk Talk. After adjusting, got to a decent level 9-14 Mbps but nowhere near the "up to 60Mbps" I'm paying for. Furthermore, wireless coverage in the house declined.

I had upgraded the Talk Talk-supplied router (vintage 2007) with Netgear 3300, which worked very well from its position in the loft extesion at the top of the house out to the study/shed at the bottom of the garden (just barely). With SH, however, I can't get a signal on first floor our outside. Also, my HTC/Android mobile, and two Kindles, don't work with the SH on 5gh mode.

Soooo, reading posts on forums like this, I want to connect a device directly to SH, enable modem mode, and use the wifi from the second device.

Thanks, sorry for the long-winded post.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 11:33:47
Print Post

Re: Can I attach a non-cable modem to VM Superhub

[re: bluedot22] [link to this post]

Firstly you say you want to be compatable with older B devices. Doing this will slow the wifi network down to around 2 - 11 Mbps (is it really worth loosing so much speed)?

To use it as a repeater.

On the netgear set the wifi name & code etc to whatever you require, set the router IP to something high e.g. 192.168.0.150, disable DHCP, disable UPNP.
Plug an ethernet cable into back of SH and one into the back of the netgear
You should be good to go...

If you set both routers with the same wifi name and password they will display as one network and your devices will 'seamlessly' switch between the two routers.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 11:35:26
Print Post

[re: bluedot22] [link to this post]

ALSO bear in mind that 5ghz goes much less distance than 2.4 ghz

I find 2.4ghz goes almost double the distance before dropping off in my property.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluedot22
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:02:29
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks ukhardy07 for the info. I will follow these instructions. Just to confirm: do you think it will still work using my NetGear ADSL wireless router?
  Print Thread

Jump to