User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dgcarter
(learned) Thu 04-Oct-12 09:39:07
Print Post

Speed doubling a disappointment

[link to this post]

My speed has finally been doubled, honest Guv.

Last weekend my connection suddenly went to 20Mb from 10. Before the speed doubling I had a generally rock steady 10Mbps. Now I have a wildly fluctuating anything from less than 1 to apeak of 14 Mbps, with it generally running at about 11 to 12. Not exactly what Usain Bolt promised on the telly.
Standard User nvidamour
(newbie) Wed 10-Oct-12 22:30:22
Print Post

Re: Speed doubling a disappointment

[re: dgcarter] [link to this post]

I've been getting that since i was doubled from 50 to 100. steady at 50 but all over the place on 100.

Hopefully should settle down after a while i think
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 07:54:27
Print Post

[re: nvidamour] [link to this post]

My speed was doubled months ago. My download speeds have gone from 50Mbps to 90Mbps. What didn't increase was the upload. I called VM and my profile was incorrect. Now get 10Mbps upload. smile Still waiting for the upgrade to 120Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Oct-12 09:20:26
Print Post

[re: nvidamour] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nvidamour:
Hopefully should settle down after a while i think

Why? There is no DLM on cable you get whatever you are set to get from the moment it connects. If it doesn't deliver that it's congestion or your own kit. VM are notoriously bad at fixing congestion - it may take months for them to increase local capacity.
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 09:37:19
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Sorry.......profile was the wrong terminology! My account settings were incorrect. This was set at 5Mbps upload until I enquired about leaving VM for BT. Once I explained that BT's Infinity product gave me a theoretical 20Mbps upload and that I was only getting 5Mbps after doubling, VM investigated and their 2nd line tech's discovered the incorrect account setting. Still thinking of BT though as I believe that they don't suffer the latency issues that VM do??
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Oct-12 10:48:38
Print Post

[re: jw6520] [link to this post]

SFAIK most doubled from 50 to 100 are still on 5Mbps up. Just about the only people getting 10 up are those who paid for 100/10 so your setting wasn't incorrect and you got an early doubling by threatening to leave.

They are a long way from doubling all downstreams - my area is shown sometime next year for that now.. Rather than wait on doubling I upgraded to 60/3 which I got for just £2.50 above the 10Mbs I'd downgraded to - £25 instead of the standard £27.50 for standalone 60/3.
Standard User jw6520
(learned) Thu 11-Oct-12 11:35:34
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I didn't realise that my upload bandwidth had been doubled because of the threat to leave....

I should consider myself lucky in that case! wink
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-12 21:38:38
Print Post

[re: dgcarter] [link to this post]

probably because capacity wasnt doubled along with it. They work on the myth that people dont use more when they have higher speeds and higher STM limits.
Standard User nvidamour
(newbie) Fri 26-Oct-12 11:37:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Mine seems toe ok now and hitting 12MB's on most occasions apart from the usual evening times but doesn't seem as erractic.
  Print Thread

Jump to