User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spaceman2000
(newbie) Fri 12-Oct-12 15:07:47
Print Post

Will moving from PO phone to VM phone affect ADSL?

[link to this post]

Hopefully this is the correct section to post this in.
I currently pay for the Phone (Post Office) and the Broadband (BE), but I'm moving out and need to move the broadband with me, so as to maintain the price I pay for it. The others in the house have decided to go with VM, but the question is will the broadband survive the change to the VM phone line, or will I need to move it first?
Ideally I would like to move it afterwards otherwise the house will be without internet access until VM turn up.
Thanks.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 16:07:32
Print Post

Re: Will moving from PO phone to VM phone affect ADSL?

[re: spaceman2000] [link to this post]

BE broadband cant run on a VM cable phone line no broadband can the only options of internet available to you with a cable phone line is virgin cable broadband its self or mobile broadband.

BE needs to have a BTw based line EG the post office, BT retail, BE them selves and so on

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 17:53:15
Print Post

Re: Will moving from PO phone to VM phone affect ADSL? *DELETED*

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Post deleted by XRaySpeX

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 18:00:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by acpsd775:
BE broadband cant run on a VM cable phone line no broadband can
But it can if the new house can only get VM ADSL.

OP was uncertain whether this was the right forum. He needs to be sure if the new property is getting VM Cable or VM ADSL.

i thought even VMs national phone could not use other company ADSL because they use cable and wireless to provide the phone service or has it all changed when a friend of mine had VMs phone/BB service with adsl and moved to o2 he had to moved phone back to BT because o2 said they could not provide broadband while he had an LLU line.

i could be wrong as this was a few years ago

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Oct-12 18:48:55
Print Post

Not really aware of C&W doing a full LLU service, it used to be a WLR based system with SMPF for the broadband

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 12-Oct-12 18:52:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not really aware of C&W doing a full LLU service, it used to be a WLR based system with SMPF for the broadband

Right no idea what happened with him then lol oh well he needed BT ultimately for fiber with LBO in the end so worked out in his favor maybe it was just one of o2s sales reps getting wrong end of stick,

So to the op if it is virgin national service then from whats others have said ti should be fine but if it is virgin cable then no it wont work lol

Ash

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 20:27:46
Print Post

Re: Will moving from PO phone to VM phone affect ADSL? *DELETED*

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User spaceman2000
(newbie) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:23:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
BE broadband cant run on a VM cable phone line no broadband can
But it can if the new house can only get VM ADSL.

OP was uncertain whether this was the right forum. He needs to be sure if the new property is getting VM Cable or VM ADSL.

The new house I'm moving into will have PO phone with BE broadband so that's not a problem.

In streets where VM has not cabled you can get VM National ADSL: http://www.virgin.net/allyours/broadband/ where you can get BB alone. So they must supply it over your existing BTw phone line.

So it all depends on what phone line OP's housemates have ordered and whether it is a BTw line.

They are going for either the classic or essential collection (broadband, tv and phone) So do VM:-
1. use a BTw line, so I might be able to move the BE connection after VM is installed
2. LLU the line, so I need to move the BE connection before VM is installed
3. or does the phone come through the cable with the tv, so we end up with 2 phone lines in the house until the PO one is canceled?

Hope that explains the problem a bit better.
Thanks for your help.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:26:44
Print Post

That's irrelevant. If they are getting a VM cable phone line that won't support ADSL and if they are getting a phone line to support VM National ADSL then it won't support BE ADSL as well. Whatever sort of VM broadband the others are getting a separate BT based phone line will be needed to support BE ADSL.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Oct-12 23:36:03
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Yeah, I got a bit confused!

The OP is asking about the house he's leaving and when to move the Be BB, not the house he's moving to.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to