User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mandarinka
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 14:20:15
Print Post

Virgin Media does Deep package inspection, true or false?

[link to this post]

I was looking into whether I need to get a VPN or some other privacy protection.
I already have BTGuard for many years, just the torrent anonymiser, so I look like I'm in Canada.

Noticed that they offer free protection against "deep packet inspection" to existing customers. This allows the ISP to intercept communication over Sock5, which is actually already encrypted I believe. But appearently it can be intercepted at the ISP.

I was rather shocked to discover that it seems VM is doing this!
Virgin to Start Deep Packet Inspection (from 2009)

Sure, they say that it's only to get stats, and that's probably true, or at least it was at the time they wrote it. But I don't want them spying on me regardless!

Who knows what they'll spy on next?! Just some "stats" on what people are writing about in their emails... or what political sites the visit...? It's creepy even if I realise I am being rather paranoid here, lol.

Anyway - can anyone confirm for sure whether this is happening? I.e. Deep Package inspection?

And has anyone been harrassed by VM because of torrent usage, or anything copyright related?

I am not even a big pirate, I should say - just an online privacy freak. As a girl, my internet usage is probably more innocent than most people's, but this is a bit of a fixation with me.

Any tips appreciated! smile

Edited by mandarinka (Sun 25-Nov-12 14:28:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Nov-12 15:41:00
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media does Deep package inspection, true or false

[re: mandarinka] [link to this post]

If you are worried about your ISP looking at your data, then consider this, why would they target you out of their 4 million customers?

You can do things like use VPN and other tools, but do you trust the end points?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Nov-12 22:11:48
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media does Deep package inspection, true or false

[re: mandarinka] [link to this post]

Yes VM use Deep Packet Inspection.

Pretty much every ISP do for various reasons, be it simply collecting statistics on what protocols are traversing their networks or shaping traffic.

Socks5 doesn't have anything in it to encrypt traffic, you have to put encryption on top of Socks5 separately.

ISPs are perfectly permitted to look at the protocols people are running on their network, they are not permitted to dip into the contents of your email and web traffic.

The only way to keep privacy online is to not go online. Even if you're hiding from your own ISP there's zero guarantee that the place your VPN terminates aren't holding records on you and of course they get all your traffic complete with the details you used when you signed up to them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to