User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mandarinka
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 22:57:08
Print Post

Static IP or not?

[link to this post]

Silly question perhaps, but this is not my area of expertise. I am not sure whether my IP is technically static or not?!

I've got Virgin Media 60 Mbit, just installed (and it's delivering about that speed, I believe.)I did NOTHING to configure this connection, I couldn't even test it while the engineer was around.

Looking at the configuration however, it looks like it IS configured to use a static IP address although I don't know how that happened.... "Use the following IP address" is ticked and an address starting with 192 (local router?!) is entered"

However speedtest.net seems to think that my IP address is something starting with 92.

Perhaps somebody knows for sure what the situation is? Does this package somehow assign a static IP address, or am I confusing myself...?

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2360233969.png[/img]
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:00:12
Print Post

Re: Static IP or not?

[re: mandarinka] [link to this post]

The superhub is a NAT router and cable modem all in one box. So the modem side takes the Internet IP address and router hands out out the 192..x type addresses to computers

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mandarinka
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:26:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you! Ok, so basically what you are saying is that it is Dynamic?

I am trying to do IPCONFIG and change it, but it doesn't seem to be possible....?

I have two problems that I am trying to solve:

1) I am not connectable from a private tracker using VPN and I don't know where how to check it without the VPN enabled (the site in question banned my actual IP address). .
2) Would like to change my real IP but don't know how to do it using IPConfig with this setup. IPconfig is reporting the 192.. address of the modem, not the actual IP address that shows online.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:58:48
Print Post

ipconfig is changing just details of the computers network interface, for any changes to the internet connection these are done via the super hubs web interface

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moto
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 09-Dec-12 07:39:04
Print Post

Virgin Media allocates an IP address to the MAC address of the WAN interface on your router. That interface is currently embedded in your superhub. To get a different IP address you would have to put your superhub in modem mode and connect it to a router that you provide.

laugh A friend surfing in laugh
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-12 09:08:56
Print Post

Ok I am not sure if you reffering to the internet ip or lan ip.

If you leave everything automated at defaults, lan ip's are assigned via dhcp from a specific ip range, as a rule of thumb if the devices dont change and arent powered off long enough then they will get the same ip's every time, but this isnt gaurantueed unless you set them static on the client configuration or use a dhcp configuration that assigns an ip to a specific MAC.

The internet ip is dynamic but its sticky dynamic meaning unless you turn off your superhub for long enough to get over the dhcp expiry (up to several days) then the ip should remain the same, there is also a chance of it changing if VM move you to a different network segment or reassign network blocks, but in my experience those are both extremely rare.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sun 09-Dec-12 09:10:59
Print Post

For port forwarding do this:

On Windows set your network configuration to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. Make a note of the IP address you have been given. Make sure Windows firewall is set-up to allow your BT client to listen on the ports you have set-up.

On Super Hub. Login. Advanced Settings. Under DHCP -> DHCP Reservation. Locate your PC in the 'Attached Devices' list. Check the box to the left of it. Your PC's details should now be filled in the 'Add Reservation' form. Click 'Add Reservation'. Then click 'Apply'. Your PC will now always be given the same internal IP address.

Now re-enable the firewall. Then under Security -> Port Forwarding set up any ports you want to forward to your PC's IP address.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get a new external IP address. They are dynamic but they are very sticky. If you leave your modem off for long periods (days) you might get new one but your best bet is to get your IP unbanned.

John.

Edited by Sark (Sun 09-Dec-12 09:17:39)

Standard User mandarinka
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 14:14:11
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Thanks for the great answers everyone! Thanks John for the super clear & helpful explanation!

Ok, I am beginning to get this now, lol! (It's just I've never had this kind of setup before (always just had a direct line going online, so much easier!)

I think I've solved my connectability problem for the setup just involving my unmasked IP onto to the internet.

For the issue with torrent client being "connectable" over VPN, I've got in touch with the VPN provider and am emailing them a bit. It might not be something they can solve straight away. Their first suggestion was simply "use port 1080 for bt" and I am trying to figure out what they mean exactly.

For the issue of my real IP being banned, I logged into the site and PMlaugh one of the mods. Either they'll ban me flat out, or hopefully they'll understand that I am trying to solve the situation. But you never know with....
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Mon 10-Dec-12 15:18:34
Print Post

If you are using a VPN to run your torrent client then it is the IP address of the VPN that you need?

Since this is the IP that the sites will see surely it is that address that needs to be un-blacked by the mod? But if the some IP address is shared by multiple users of the VPN it won't help much frown

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User mandarinka
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 16:14:22
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Hi - no, actually, it is my real IP that was blocked, not the one from the VPN.
I wrote to them and said that I can log on with a VPN but not with my real IP.
So the logical thing to do would be to either ban me completely, or unblock my real IP address.

For the time being I accept that I cannot use VPN on this site, as it is impossible to seed over the VPN (get flagged as "not connectable"). But I can't access without the VPN, because that's the address that's blocked. So right now I cannot use this site.
  Print Thread

Jump to