User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Tue 29-Jan-13 19:27:04
Print Post

Do I need a business package to get multiple IPs?

[link to this post]

Hello

I talked to sales rep form VM asking information about the 100Mb and when I asked about static IP and potentially a small subnet (like 8 IPs) I was told that I need to get a business package. Is this indeed the case? Initially I want to have a static IP (not "sticky" static) and after some time to order a small subnet. Do I have to get The Biz Plus?

Does anyone know costs?

N
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 29-Jan-13 19:36:19
Print Post

Re: Do I need a business package to get multiple IPs?

[re: Netizen] [link to this post]

Multiple IP addresses are certainly not an option on Virgin's consumer service - it's strictly a dynamic IP only affair.

Whichever provider you go for, I'd ask for the subnet at the beginning of the contract. With no more IPv4 addresses to hand out, allocation policies are getting tougher over time. You don't want to find yourself locked into a contract with a single IP address when your short to medium term needs require more addresses.

Standard User Netizen
(regular) Wed 30-Jan-13 15:08:27
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Well, just finished talking to Virgin Business.

It appears that as soon you ask for static (not sticky) IP, or a subnet the are only offering service via ADSL since the max upload speed would be 768Kbps! In spedific, when I asked a connection with static IP, I was given the option of a 10Mbit Down / 0.7 Mbit Up.

So no fibre with static for me.
I can get the 100Mbit service only via the residential package (with Dyn IP).
Very disappointed! frown

**Correction, they did not say ADSL... I am just using the term here. But the speeds are the ones they said they will be...

Edited by Netizen (Wed 30-Jan-13 15:10:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(regular) Fri 01-Feb-13 11:48:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Netizen:
Well, just finished talking to Virgin Business.

It appears that as soon you ask for static (not sticky) IP, or a subnet the are only offering service via ADSL since the max upload speed would be 768Kbps! In spedific, when I asked a connection with static IP, I was given the option of a 10Mbit Down / 0.7 Mbit Up.

This is entirely correct - currently if you want A fixed IP address the fastest cable offering from Virgin Business is 10 Mbps/0.7Mbps, and the "fixed" IP address costs you another £10 per month!

And by 'fixed'/"static" IP address they mean "will stay the same until we do some UBR rearrangement, or swap something round, when the IP address will change randomly and without notice". Basically it's just a DHCP reservation. I think we've had three or four changes to our two fixed IP addresses on two lines in the last six or so years. Utterly infuriating when we've got an Exchange server at the end of one of the lines...

Edited by John_Gray (Fri 01-Feb-13 11:50:44)

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Feb-13 12:05:19
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

I have a 50down 5(I think) up virgin business cable service in plymouth with a /29 static allocation from Virgin on the LAN side.

It's actually provisioned over L2TP on the VMB superhub (i.e. a tunnel over the underlying cable modem's IP connection) and then presented to the LAN

So yes, you can get a static routed subnet on the VMB business cable services.

NB it probably depends on the service area you're in whenter this is available or not.
One other thing to note is that VMB state(d) that they may traffic shape business cable services outside of "business hours"
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Fri 01-Feb-13 15:28:16
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
I have a 50down 5(I think) up virgin business cable service in plymouth with a /29 static allocation from Virgin on the LAN side.

It's actually provisioned over L2TP on the VMB superhub (i.e. a tunnel over the underlying cable modem's IP connection) and then presented to the LAN

So yes, you can get a static routed subnet on the VMB business cable services.

NB it probably depends on the service area you're in whenter this is available or not.
One other thing to note is that VMB state(d) that they may traffic shape business cable services outside of "business hours"

5 Mbit up? Can you please check because this is way higher than what they said (unless it relates to the "superhub" and this is something I can't have.
Also, contenion ratio, do you know?

And what is the cost of this per month if I may ask?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Feb-13 15:33:35
Print Post

We had a connection like this in our office. It died every 20 hours due to an issue with the software and the tunnelling to deliver the IP addressing.

Known fault, went on for months. In the end they said there was no resolve time for it, they had removed those products until the issue was resolved and refunded our install/monthly fees in full.

That's possibly/probably why it's still not offered, a year on.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Fri 01-Feb-13 15:43:56
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
Utterly infuriating when we've got an Exchange server at the end of one of the lines...

WHAT? They made IP changes without notice to a Business Customer?
And they still have customers?!?

My home ISP (Be Unlimited) kept send me emails months and months before the planned change. Of course the change would have affected my connection as well however their professionalism was up to the point that they did the change themselves (inside my router) while I was on holidays abroad because I told them that they't change the IP without replacing it inside the router as that would stop my ability to watch my CCTV cameras remotely!
And this was for residential service. Not business!

Maybe I should forget about Virgin...

By the way, do you know what are the main service differences between a home 100Mbit internet package and the Biz Plus (also 100Mbit)?
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Feb-13 20:16:06
Print Post

If I can get on to the management pages remotely at the moment I'll check later. Cost including phone line and vat is around £80/month iirc, again I'd have to check when I'm back in the office
Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Feb-13 20:18:54
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Odd, it's less than a year ago that I upgraded to that!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to