User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User simonh37
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 13:50:26
Print Post

Its all gone to hell

[link to this post]

I have been sitting happily on 60mb broadband ( premier collection ) for a few months now. Recently i received an email from Virgin stating that my area has now been upgraded "double speed"

Since this double speed upgrade has been completed my connection has suffered somewhat.

My Broadband Ping

Is my current graph, previously ( upto 2 weeks ago ) my connection has been great, now i am suffering from disconnections within games ( predominately BF3 ).

My tracerts, pingtests, download speed tests are all generally good

Any ideas what my graph may indicate? hopefully a small blip
Thanks in advance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Feb-13 13:56:21
Print Post

Re: Its all gone to hell

[re: simonh37] [link to this post]

The packet loss is not good, looks different to the usual congested segment you get with Virgin Media

Lots more current monitors at http://craigswebsites.co.uk/ping/ and no sign of a nationwide issue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simonh37
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 14:07:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply MrSaffron.

Yeah i am unsure if it could be congestion, my connection has been fantastic ever since i signed up, online gaming has always been good, as had downloads, browsing etc etc.

I did get a notification that there had been a major incident in the "seven kings" area last week, which apparently affected me, however i also received a notification that this fault had been resolved

I am putting it down to something going wrong when the upgrade was completed and its just a temp blip. Will give it a week or so, then try and hassle VM to review.

Edited by simonh37 (Mon 11-Feb-13 14:09:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(member) Tue 12-Feb-13 02:37:41
Print Post

unless others are having issues around you that does not look like the normal upstream overloaded issue,

your starts at 6am in the morning and is the same all day

it should norm happen around 4pm to midnight (peak time) when all every one go home and turn on there pcs (that also happen to have p2p on auto start up sending at full upload speed)

this is what overloaded upstream tends to look like (this is live so the connection at Peak time is not always overloaded)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/dfc82fd86e7...

what are the power levels on your modem down steam and upstream ( http://192.168.100.1 ) as they could be out of range making your modem drop packets as your getting a lot of spiked packet loss there

Edited by leexgx (Tue 12-Feb-13 02:50:14)

Standard User simonh37
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-13 09:53:18
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

At work at the moment so cannot post my power levels ( will do that later )

My Broadband Ping

Is my latest graph.

Yesterday as you can see was pretty horrendous......weirdly though, i could download and browse at pretty much full speed, gaming as expected was not possible.

However looking at todays graph, from 8am, packet loss and spiking seems to have gone ( where it was present yesterday ).

Will keep monitoring.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Feb-13 10:12:45
Print Post

What I always find is that it's bad until you complain. And then it just goes perfect. Like it's been perfect for a few days and during a call from the complaints team. Now the day after I tell them all is okay I am rocking 26mbps at 10am when I used to get full speed.

I can bet you £100 I will complain and within an hour it will all be OK again and then it will go to hell again after

So now I just used it. I used to care about using too much but now I don't care I just use it to it's max every day./ sod it!
Standard User simonh37
(newbie) Tue 12-Feb-13 16:49:15
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Modem stats as requested

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power SNR Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked 81 266750000 Hz QAM256 6.5 dBmV 42.0 dB 553 0
Locked 83 282750000 Hz QAM256 5.4 dBmV 41.0 dB 610 0
Locked 84 290750000 Hz QAM256 5.1 dBmV 40.9 dB 3156 0
Locked 85 298750000 Hz QAM256 5.7 dBmV 41.9 dB 463 0
Locked 86 306750000 Hz QAM256 5.6 dBmV 41.9 dB 376 0
Locked 87 314750000 Hz QAM256 5.4 dBmV 41.4 dB 489 0
Locked 88 322750000 Hz QAM256 4.3 dBmV 39.9 dB 5182 0
Unlocked Unknown 0 Hz Unknown 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown Unknown

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked 5 35800000 Hz ATDMA 35.5 dBmV 16QAM 6400000 20480 Kbits/sec
Unlocked 0 0 Hz Unknown 0.0 dBmV Unknown Unknown 0 Kbits/sec
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:35:21
Print Post

Looks like noise on the upstream channel, whatever was causing this noise was active from 6am onwards.

Either the noise source has stopped transmitting on its own and could come back, VM have removed the device from the network, or they've plugged some signal leakage.
Administrator seb
(founder) Fri 15-Feb-13 19:35:18
Print Post

Did you reboot your router?

Is that problem always happening 6am-midnight every day or is that just the day you got upgraded?

seb

Sebastien Lahtinen
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
seb@thinkbroadband.com

personal blog - blog.seb.me.uk
twitter - @sebtweet
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simonh37
(newbie) Sat 16-Feb-13 02:14:57
Print Post

[re: seb] [link to this post]

Engineer out today,had a play in cabinet, swapped superhub for a new one.

No more t3 and t4 timeouts

My Broadband Ping

Lag free night of gaming.
  Print Thread

Jump to