User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cpower
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 13:41:21
Print Post

Virgin Services in the Northeast

[link to this post]

I live in Stockton on Tees and am currently in the process of moving house. The best thing is that I will be leaving behind the abomination that is TalkTalk. I now have to choose a BB provider.

I was thinking about Virgin cable as the area is capable of it but the most important factor for me is reliability. The missus and I work from home frequently and need a good solid bb service. I've read some good and bad reviews on Virgin but am interested in what people local to me who are on Virgin have to say about them. Is there anyone out there that could provide some info?

Equally is there anyone out there in my area on another ISP who they would recommend? Or if anyone knows of a better forum to get this kind of localised info please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 15:22:00
Print Post

Re: Virgin Services in the Northeast

[re: cpower] [link to this post]

The problem with "local" when talking about a cable service is that is isn't by the town or even by the district it's down at the street level because an overloaded optical node which will only serve a few streets will mean you'll see abysmal performance and VM aren't renowned for fast fixes for congestion issues.

In the main cable is pretty reliable (apart from some areas suffering high congestion) but imo not quite as reliable as ADSL as there is much more active hardware out on the streets. I went for manyyears without any outages on ADSL at all but have seen a few short lived ones in the three years of so I've been on cable. I've also seen one period of abysmal performance that dragged on for months.

Your call.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-13 19:00:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by cpower:
I will be leaving behind the abomination that is TalkTalk.

And if you choose these - going to another BUT at least they give you a 28 day money back guarantee.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cpower
(newbie) Fri 15-Feb-13 10:43:39
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I was looking into Plusnet for ADSL. They appear to have good review but more importantly they have a no contract option for phone and broadband. Costs a little more but I'm willing to pay the extra to trial them for a few months with the ability to leave at will.
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Feb-13 13:08:30
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Just be careful though. If you leave within the 28 days and decide to come back then you should get a new account. When I left and came back I got given the same account so I ended up paying £42.81 for the first month which disappeared and I have paid £112 do 2 months and seem to be getting charged in arrears. The bill I got today runs until the 19th of Feb and will be taken in March

It's all so confusing.
Standard User AndehX
(learned) Sat 16-Feb-13 10:33:46
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

my advice to you is DONT go anywhere near VM. Im from South Shields, and the service here is diabolical. Started at the start of the year, and as stated earlier, VM are known for taking absolutely forever to fix congestion issues. Planning permission is needed from the council to dig up streets and whatnot, and the whole process can take upwards of a year.

My advice is go with BT FTTC if its available in your area.

Connection - Virgin Media 100Mbps @ 50m. BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 16-Feb-13 12:34:31
Print Post

If you work from home and connectivity is important you need to look at response time and guarantees for resolving faults.

I use BTs BUSINESS Infinity service and have had an issue which needed resolving (I still had service). I could speak with the helpdesk one afternoon and the Technician would be here the next business morning or afternoon - a true next business day service. Phone support (UK based) is available 24 hours/day 365 days/year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Feb-13 16:03:26
Print Post

[re: AndehX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndehX:
my advice to you is DONT go anywhere near VM. Im from South Shields, and the service here is diabolical. Started at the start of the year, and as stated earlier, VM are known for taking absolutely forever to fix congestion issues. Planning permission is needed from the council to dig up streets and whatnot, and the whole process can take upwards of a year.

My advice is go with BT FTTC if its available in your area.

Personally I am too late for that I have VM already! but I will be going FTTC as soon as I can yes. Although to be fair if you stay on VM and others jump to FTTC won't VM become better?
Standard User sumo999
(newbie) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:54:10
Print Post

i live in billingham and find vm very good i'm on the 60mb and never get less than 55-56 no matter when i check speed.... i would recomend if i went with a bt line i'd be lucky to get 6mb
Standard User biffs
(member) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:01:44
Print Post

Quite far away from you, but still in the North East - I have had great service from VM for all I want - TV, Phone and rock solid up to 60MB Broadband delivered at always 50+ Good Luck.

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to