User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:35:40
Print Post

For what we pay...

[link to this post]

You have to admit the VM system has more good points that bad.

I've just been reading a post about someone being STM'd and wondering why. When you consider the fact it is unlimited then I do agree that VM is good value. okay so you do get cut to 65mbps on the top package after 11GB in the evening but if you don't hit that then you pretty do have full speed 24/7 (or as best the network can give it)

Today I had a very long and I have to say very honest chat with someone at the CEO office and I now feel assured that staying with VM is a good thing. All I've ever wanted is someone to be like she was today, open, honest and upfront. Brilliant

And the thought of getting a phone line just to have the internet seems a waste of resources. So I am glad I don't have to have one with VM

Anyway just wanted to say I know I have been anti VM but I will not be anymore. When you think about it , and it's explained to you honestly it makes you realise your lucky to get what you get. and should spend energy worrying about things that realy matter

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 25-Feb-13 17:42:27)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Feb-13 18:04:41
Print Post

Re: For what we pay...

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

When it's working I think you'd be hard pressed to beat cable for value although some gamers might argue that one. The problem is with VM's capacity rules and the time it takes after they admit a fix is needed for high congestion to actually providing one.

Oh - plus their lowest bidder choice for hubs and blind refusal to admit to buggy firmware which should have been detected during pre-release testing which I assume only amounted to does it turn on and are the lights annoying enough.
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Feb-13 18:52:25
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Yes It took me ages to remind myself the Police weren't outside it was the SH flashing it's blue light. I hide it now behind the Monitor.

I hear they were trying to get a replacement for the SH as soon as possible. Not sure if that's still true

I game on it - I have no problems. I see a lot of people talking about WOW. I am lucky that when I tried it (to see about the latency) I never hit more than 24ms all the time

I guess the area is okay around here.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Mon 25-Feb-13 21:53:29
Print Post

I must say that I have never had a problem with the technology. It is always the customer service that lets them down.

Having UK call centres does not necessarily mean better service.
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Feb-13 23:35:07
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

for me it's always been the UK call centre that has saved the day.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Mar-13 02:50:56
Print Post

What, the Super Hub 2? wink

A friend at VM has got it on trial. As to how good it'll be, maybe just look at the original.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:36:59
Print Post

People get annoyed by the traffic management because there are ISPs who don't do it, I guess.

I'm moving to VM from Be because of the Sky thing, but I guess the equivalent package to my ~22/2.5 is the 30/3. VM's is a bit faster, but it's also more expensive. I never suffered slowdown on my connection in the years I was with Be. I could spank it 24/7 if I wanted. It was reliable, fast and cheap.

Obviously that's not true in all areas. Plenty of people have had bottlenecking because Be's network was oversubscribed in places. The same is very true for VM, mind you.

When you look at the 60mbit and 100mbit packages, they're much cheaper in terms of £ per mbit. Even if the 100mbit was throttled 24/7, it'd be faster pound for pound than any other connection I can get in my current location, and I'm lucky enough to be in an area with low contention for VM as well. And even with the throttling in place, there's nothing you can't do, technically. Even the 30mbit throttled down should be able to play 1080p video just fine. Any problems that occur are due to other technical problems that would be occurring whether the throttling is in effect or not.

You're right in that for what you pay, and what I'll be paying, it's great value for money.

If their network wasn't overloaded though, they wouldn't need to do STM, P2P QOS and the rest of it. I'm going to VM with my eyes open. I know the score, and I'm going in with the knowledge that if I download X GB during Y, I'll be limited to Z.

Even the lowest package, throttled 24/7/365 would let you do, in theory, 4.5TB in a month. That's genuinely insane usage levels though. If you manage 4.5TB in a month, you have no right to complain. smile
Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Mon 04-Mar-13 13:22:00
Print Post

[re: weegiegeek] [link to this post]

If you do think about going to them, make sure that you take detailed notes of every time you speak to them, who you talk to and what was agreed. Later, they will deny what was agreed, say they cannot access the record, agree to refer the matter to HQ and not do so and finally agree that your complaint is fully justified, then botch making amends.

Provided nothing does go wrong, which to be fair is most of the time, you will get a consistent, fast internet service. I just wish they would increase upstream rates.
Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:11:49
Print Post

[re: FelixTCat] [link to this post]

Haha yeah, I've heard the horror stories. More upstream would be good for sure, but they're head and shoulders above any other provider I can get here. frown
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Mar-13 22:01:15
Print Post

[re: weegiegeek] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by weegiegeek:
..but they're head and shoulders above any other provider I can get here.

I thought you weren't connected yet?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to