User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 20:41:36
Print Post

How's the service in Rutherglen (and the surrounding areas)?

[link to this post]

Current Be customer. Ditching them because of Sky purchasing them.

I don't have many choices here, so for anything like a half-decent upload speed, I'm going to have to go with VM. I didn't realise this, but it's only going to be 35 quid a month for bare broadband, which is only a fiver more than I'm paying right now for Be and line rental. Not bad for 100/10, right?

But then I read the horror stories. People getting nowhere near the expected speed. I had NTL when I lived in Mount Florida, which isn't all that far away, and it was fine. It was also 3mbit, their top speed! So maybe there are congestion problems nearby.

Is anyone on a UBR nearby, and can let me know how the service is, please?

Edited by weegiegeek (Fri 01-Mar-13 20:41:49)

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Mar-13 21:08:27
Print Post

Re: How's the service in Rutherglen (and the surrounding are

[re: weegiegeek] [link to this post]

I'm in Rutherglen on 60 Meg - phone broadband and TV, been with NTL since the collapse of Atlantic .

I find it can be a bit flaky at times - but that could be because I'm wireless , not wired and I'm not at all technical - so my Superhub was set up for me by Virgin . I'll drop for a few secs from time to time - that could be a problem if you are a gamer - I'm not

My upload is a steady 2.8 to 2.9 - perfectly acceptable smile

Download - well using the flash test on Safari it gives me this just now

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

and then on Chrome

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.5 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 21:20:32
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Nice, thanks. smile

Looks fine really. From what I hear, the superhub's a bit temperamental, so that might explain your wireless problems. We're mostly wireless here. Just phones and the Wii that are wireless, off the top of my head.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Mar-13 22:43:49
Print Post

I may be wrong but I don't think you can still buy 100/10. The 100 they are currently selling is doubled downstream 50 so you'll get 100/5 which is promised to become 120/???? 12 maybe or maybe not. Upstream has always been cables weakest link so if you want high upstream but not Murdoch you'll need to look to BT FTTC or resellers of that.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Fri 01-Mar-13 22:45:22)

Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Sat 02-Mar-13 00:22:06
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
I may be wrong but I don't think you can still buy 100/10. The 100 they are currently selling is doubled downstream 50 so you'll get 100/5 which is promised to become 120/????

My exchange doesn't even have a date for FTTx enablement, so I hope you're wrong. Either way, still the fastest I can get.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 02-Mar-13 23:02:54
Print Post

I agree with kwikbreaks.

you will either get 120/12 (if the area is upgraded) or get 100/5.

Performance is a postcode lottery, if you in a low utilised area it should be fairly good, or it could be disasterous if in a very heavily subbed area with torrenters.

Note tho its not unusual for people to be able to ring up and ask for the speed upgrade early before planned upgrades and be successful. You probably wont be able to do this on a order but I think you may have some success ringing and asking for it after you are online, but be aware this wont be a 100% chance. They may say no.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 02-Mar-13 23:04:53)

Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Sun 03-Mar-13 14:13:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I spoke to someone on a nearby UBR, and they joined 3 weeks ago. They got 100/10 so fingers crossed! A bit of research suggests that we're in an undersubscribed area, so there will hopefully be little slowdown due to contention.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 03-Mar-13 19:25:31
Print Post

old customers will have 100/10 but not new ones.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User weegiegeek
(regular) Sun 03-Mar-13 22:18:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Well this guy's posted his speed tests, and says he's been a customer for 3 weeks. Other people have suggested it's a bit hit and miss, and you can ask for 100/10 instead of 100/5.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Mar-13 08:38:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by weegiegeek:
I didn't realise this, but it's only going to be 35 quid a month for bare broadband, which is only a fiver more than I'm paying right now for Be and line rental. Not bad for 100/10, right?

Mines £36.75 now and I've also been told that I have no chance of BT and the best I can gt is VM for speed. Still switching as soon as I can though.

But the beauty of cable is that you can have them as separates as they all use their own feed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to