User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User djhomeless
(regular) Tue 12-Mar-13 08:55:09
Print Post

How does FTTC compare w/Virgin?

[link to this post]

Longtime (and suffering) VM customer. I'm curious if anyone had the opportunity to compare FTTC speeds and latency with VM?

Currently on the 120MB product - I find that despite the speeds I still see a fair amount of congestion/buffering - probably due to the fact that VM is quite popular in my neighbourhood.

Now that my area finally has FTTC, I've been thinking about making the switch.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.
Standard User Roph
(learned) Tue 12-Mar-13 10:42:10
Print Post

Re: How does FTTC compare w/Virgin?

[re: djhomeless] [link to this post]

Virgin is FTTC. I'm assuming you mean BT's new infinity offerings, which are also FTTC. The only difference is the delivery - DOCSIS or VDSL.

===============
Virgin Media 120mbit
Standard User NickSpam
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-13 11:08:02
Print Post

I was in the same situation as you. I got IDNET FTTC as soon as it came to my area. I kept my Virgin line as backup. FTTC was good but after about 3 months Virgin congestion had pretty much disappeared. After another year I dropped the FTTC.

I'm not sure why Virgin got better, coincidence or if it was related to FTTC. Maybe customers deserted to FTTC leaving the line less congested or maybe Virgin introduced upgrades to ensure they were competitive with FTTC.

But the long and short is it may be worth waiting a few months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Mar-13 11:15:30
Print Post

To contradict the earlier reply VM cable isn't FTTC it is a completely different technology -

BT Infinity will offer you a lower headline download speed than is possible with cable but a much higher upstream.

Jitter tends to be high on cable - particulaurly upstream jitter and is pretty much absent on FTTC, This is down to the way cable works.

You can get cable broadband without any need for a phone line. FTTC still requires a phone line for last leg delivery.

Cable performance is normally OK but some areas can suffer from very high congestion and that often takes an age to get sorted out - by area I mean just a few streets. You'll often see posts asking what performance is like in the first bit of a postcode and that can be meaningless as the granularity is much less than that.

Reliability in my experience is slightly down on ADSL with several short outages a year ever since I've had it wheras ADSL virtually never went down.
Standard User djhomeless
(regular) Tue 12-Mar-13 13:18:57
Print Post

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess my big question is whether FTTC suffers the same congestion from over-subscription (eg: contention) that cable does. The VM engineers have come out countless times to do repulls and the like, but the randomness of the quality remains.

The other thing I didn't point out, if I switched to TalkTalk or Infinity, I can get pretty much the same quality of TV (in my case, kids channels) with a much lower bill. Right now I'm paying £100 a month for VM....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-13 14:02:49
Print Post

[re: Roph] [link to this post]

Convention is to refer to DOCSIS networks as FTTN, the architecture is different because of the timeslicing of DOCSIS on the final metaliic cable segments

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-13 14:06:44
Print Post

With FTTC the bandwidth is dedicated to the cabinet, then between cabinet and handover node (i.e. exchange) Openreach operate a 15 Mbps allocation for 40 Meg and 30 Meg for 80 Meg customers. So congestion is unlikely on the part Openreach control. What the ISP does at the exchange is the difference between Sky/BT/TalkTalk

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/03/uk-broadband-...

Shows a national comparison between the services.

FTTN - which is what you call DOCSIS - has the issue where in addition to the capacity sharing from the fibre node (no idea what figures Virgin Media works to), there is the time slicing which means a user or two in the same street can impact your performance.

It all depends on what others do in your area really.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:30:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Convention is to refer to DOCSIS networks as FTTN, the architecture is different because of the timeslicing of DOCSIS on the final metaliic cable segments

The definitions are weird. FTTC doesn't actually stand for FTTCabinet but FTTCurb. Usually taken as meaning that the fibre is terminated within 300m of CPE in all instances.

FTTCabinet is actually FTTNode/FTTCurb + VDSL - see deployments by Deutsche Telekom, AT&T, KPN, etc, referred to as FTTNode.

The actual FTTx definition doesn't care about what is being transmitted down the line - there are the odd DOCSIS networks that are RFoG - RF over Glass - these are still FTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Mar-13 12:52:48
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Perhaps I should have said UK convention

As oppossed to any danger of implying a world wide standard for these things. smile

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Mar-13 13:21:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Agreed. Most UK residents would equate FTTC with the Openreach infrastructure re-sold by BT as Infinity and several others as their fibre offering.

OK maybe they wouldn't but I certainly do.. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to