User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leexgx
(member) Fri 15-Mar-13 04:51:45
Print Post

getting VM to fix the local cab

[link to this post]

is there any way to get VM to at least start planning to get an new cab installed, as where i am they have to many users on the FTTN node, and there fix seems to give free upgrades to 60-100mb that is making the issue worse (more upload speed = more upstream congestion), my connection was perfectly fine when it was on docsis 1 i my self have had issues with the newer docsis 3 (still do mostly just high ping)

its just poor that they are doing this 30-60-100mb speed profile is grate apart from when you can only use it between midnight and 4pm (all the kidys turn on there pcs at 4pm ish and so starts up the p2p in the background as they are on startup, and so does the 5-40% packet-loss insures)

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Mar-13 10:17:37
Print Post

Re: getting VM to fix the local cab

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

The chances are that there is no optical node in your cabinet - many cabinets are connected up to an optical node. Getting VM to upgrade isn't at all easy as their criteria seems to be don't do anything until folks start quitting in droves and then, of course, when they have, there is no need for an upgrade.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:59:03
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

there are about 15 or more street cabs running off my FTTN node (the big cab that has the fibre, smaller street cabs are just splitters to the houses)

just annoying that they let it get to the point where services are very degraded

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(member) Sat 16-Mar-13 03:36:12
Print Post

hmm ok it seems they have now turned on the Dual channel upstream now (on this modem any way) but from the looks of my ping monitors on http://f8lure.mouselike.org at around 8am they all dropped connection and come back up ping seems to have been more normal then they are (low ping's no packet loss) all day even the other 2 houses on the same street, i find out tomorrow when i get back

Edited by leexgx (Sat 16-Mar-13 03:40:35)

Standard User leexgx
(member) Sun 17-Mar-13 00:40:12
Print Post

ok they have enabled 2 channel upload for Warrington aera now at 8:30am on 15th march 2013
only checked 4 connections but 2 of them are the other side of Warrington so i guess its network wide for my Virgin area code think its 09?

pings are now normal and my next door person does not need to switch to sky adsl any more (only taken them 2 years to do it) as he been using my internet for last 2-3 weeks

this is how bad his internet has been for quite some time (F8lure now has Firebrick smile )
http://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.asp?DoAction=Histo...
over the road

bellow was before and after (note date was the 15th march 2013 just in case any one looks at this later on) all the red was due to that His modem should be at his dads house but its in his flat so it would not up date the dual channel upstream (access denied) untill he plugged it back in where the modem should be, it worked ok once he got back to his flat

so i guess the load balancing access 2 up streams works well

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Mar-13 11:29:31
Print Post

It will be interesting to compare those graphs with TBB ones. I found I'd had an account with them back in 2010 but had forgotten about it and it had been deleted so I've just created a new on.
  Print Thread

Jump to