User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 27-Mar-13 13:35:21
Print Post

New Traffic Management Policy

[link to this post]

So to clarify the new capped speed on 30 Mbit will be changed from 15 Mbit to 18 Mbit and not 12 Mbit?

John.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 27-Mar-13 16:45:46
Print Post

Re: New Traffic Management Policy

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

yes you keep 60%.

So VM made more generous, I wonder how people in oversubbed areas think about that.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 70/20, Current Attainable 68/23 frown
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 27-Mar-13 22:58:35
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Nice. smile

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User saturn_uranus
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Mar-13 00:16:56
Print Post

As an example, a size: XL customer on our 60Mb service can download 5,000MB between 5pm and 10pm on a weekday before they are traffic managed.

It would also have been nice to have all the thresholds noted for everyone to see. AFAICS, the above "example" is the only one provided.

Virgin media 100Mb formerly be* Pro
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leexgx
(member) Thu 28-Mar-13 03:47:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
yes you keep 60%.

So VM made more generous, I wonder how people in oversubbed areas think about that.

nothing as upstream is still capped at 75% (downstream is not the issue with VM) so when the STM is activated, they will still have the issue if they are still in an single channel upstream area and the area is congested, once dual channel is enabled it should be a lot better pings should drop back to normal once they get around to enabling dual upstream channels in areas where its not been done yet

its still unlimited (if you call 1000GB per month unlimited as one of my customers got an letter for doing over 1000gb over 2-3 months i guess they noticed, he did download loads of 1080p stuff, well it was 1300gb, 1100gb and 1400gb, as newsbin shows logs showed)

Edited by leexgx (Thu 28-Mar-13 03:53:43)

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Mar-13 09:16:40
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

instead of talking about how much you download during these periods why not calculate how long it will take to reach the threshold before you are throttled. Surely this is more important concerning %'s of true available bandwidth.

It sort of defeats the object of having a high speed connection if your balls are being clipped for maxing out your connection for an hour a day

SOTV KRO BCFC smile

Edited by Stanman_24 (Thu 28-Mar-13 09:17:34)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Mar-13 09:52:54
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
instead of talking about how much you download during these periods why not calculate how long it will take to reach the threshold before you are throttled. Surely this is more important concerning %'s of true available bandwidth.

It sort of defeats the object of having a high speed connection if your balls are being clipped for maxing out your connection for an hour a day

Because most people aren't sitting on Usenet trying to stay in sync with their favourite Blu Ray group, they're streaming media now, so a data rate is appropriate, not to mention there's no guarantee of hitting the exact rate.

Keep the Linux ISOs out of peak time and for the most part all should be well.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Mar-13 10:03:47
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

yeah I am old skool usenet m8

SOTV KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 28-Mar-13 13:30:50
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

I don't think "time at full speed" is a particularly useful measure. The main thing that sends me over the cap is downloading HD movies from Sky On Demand and they don't go at anything like full whack (or even the capped speed). So how would I convert that to a "time at full speed" measure? I suppose if you're constantly maxing out your connection then it might be useful but how many people do that?

John.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Mar-13 14:22:47
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Some people just hog the network and slow it down for others.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to